Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to partition my disk in place?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to partition my disk in place?

As in, if the last N GB of my HD is free, can I just create a new partition there? I want to install Ubuntu on my laptop but don't want to reinstall Windows.

It is if you have the right tools. I don't know if you can do it simply with Disk Manager in WinXP, but you can definately do it with Partition Magic. You can probably do it during the installation process of Linux, but it's been a several years since I've done that, so I am not sure.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

It's possible, with some partition programs, but my understanding is, that you deffinately should backup your essentials before trying, incase it goes south...
      I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Partition Magic can do it, as can Acronis Partition Manager. Here's a free one, but you need to put it on a bootable CD.

Backing up is always a good idea, but this really is a very safe procedure.
        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Nifty. Thanks.

Comment

Partition Magic

You have to prep it first, though. You probably don't have a "N GB" empty spot on your HDD, but a bunch of little free spots adding up to N GB ...
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Re: Is it possible to partition my disk in place?

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
              As in, if the last N GB of my HD is free, can I just create a new partition there? I want to install Ubuntu on my laptop but don't want to reinstall Windows.
              Yes, a part of your drive can secede lawfully from the existing partition to which it was bound.
              When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Working...
              X