Need Some help/Advice!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Some help/Advice!!!!!

Anyone with legal knowledge and millitary knowledege help please. I have a cousin that was married to a air force officer. He filed for divorced convinced a judge to get custody of their only kid.
    Now the deal. He went to another state married another AF officer who posible knew his dicorce wasnt final. My cousin has filed charges for bigamy on him and im courious if he has to answer to both texas and az as well as the military. There will be a warrant out of texas since this is where they lived and filed for divorce and az was where he married the other gal while still married to my cousin
    When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
    "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
    Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Contact Air Force authorities, if it hasn't been done.
    They're especially sensitive to any "conduct unbecoming" and besides letting them know, they may very well advise you.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

well she is gonna but im courious as to what is gonna happen. being military hes from ohio married in tennesse to my cousin lived in texas for 2 years filed for divorce and before divorce was finalized applied for and married in az knowing his divorce wasnt final
      When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.

Comment

and then comes into play whetehr or not the two officers applied for joint benefits through the military with his divorce not finalized.
        He broke the law by lying on marriage app in az but charges were filed in texas who has jurisdiction if not both?

Comment

Did he have any reason to believe that his divorce was final?
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

No he knew it wasnt. it wasnt for another 3 to 4 weeks that it was finalized. he got custody of the kid and when ur divorce is final u usally get the papers of it. He was the one that filed for divorce so i know he knew it wasnt finalized

Comment

The thing is, if neither state did a thing, Air Force will. Damned Air Force doesn't play.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

slowwy this is unfolding as we speak
                she filed charges in texas for bigamy. The warrant is gonna be issued on monday. He commited the crime n az and i was wondering who has jurdistiction and if he canbe punished by all three. the two states and the af. not to mention if he is arrested by civil courts and extrdicted can he be considered awol

Comment

Yes. If he's under arrest for a crime, good chance it would go down as AWOL.
                  If the courts in Texas declared the divorce and set the time tables, they're definitely part of it.
                  Although I don't know for sure, I would think Arizona would be his last worry of them, Texas, and Air Force.
                  Arizona may just anull the marriage.

Comment

well reason i ask cause he is in az as we speak
                    texas is issuing warrant but i think they need the support of az to arrest him and then he gets him first az texas or the af

Comment

He cannot be punished in both states, as bigamy is a criminal matter (in addition to civil issues arising from the child and divorce) and you can't be punished twice for the same offense.

Imran would be the best person to ask about this, though I'll venture a guess that AZ would probably be the preferred venue for the trial if there is a disagreement, since the actual violation (signing the second marriage license etc.) occurred in AZ. Now, I suspect TX has at least some claim to jurisdiction, meaning if they both agree to hold the trial there, it's possible that would fly (though why would he?) ...

Anyway, the AF will certainly be of help here, though I'm not sure they have any ability to affect custody or even to affect the civil (money) side of things. They'll certainly dock his rank and/or do various other things to him, I'd expect, but I'm not sure they have any jurisdiction over custody, unless they're able to prevent him from having the child in his own custody, or if they actually imprison him for the offense (in which case I think custody is automatically revoked?) ...
                      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                        Yes. If he's under arrest for a crime, good chance it would go down as AWOL.
                        If the courts in Texas declared the divorce and set the time tables, they're definitely part of it.
                        Although I don't know for sure, I would think Arizona would be his last worry of them, Texas, and Air Force.
                        Arizona may just anull the marriage.
                        Why would that go down as AWOL? Not a military man myself, so I don't know that it would or wouldn't be, but logically one would think the USAF would understand incarceration (so long as he reports it) and would not consider it AWOL (but would of course consider it something else)?

Comment

from wha i understand as far as awol he doesnt have permission to be in jail and the military doesnt involve them selves in civil/ criminal law against their memebers. if indeed he is arrested and not reporting to duty he is considered awol due to his onw personal actions. this is what i was told only the military personal can tell me different

Comment

Seems brutal ... what if he's unjustly imprisoned or something?

Comment

then id guess the military would find out it was unjustly imprisioned and pardon the guy. Inthis case its not unjust he broke the aw and we have proof, I am only trying to figure out who he has to deal with first.

Comment

Working...
                              X