• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sandino Vive?

Sandinista comeback alarms US

Rory Carroll
    Sunday October 29, 2006
    The Observer

Daniel Ortega is a hair's breadth from regaining power in Nicaragua and staging one of Latin America's most remarkable political comebacks, according to new opinion polls.

The Sandinista leader is far ahead of rival candidates and could win in the first round of a presidential election on 5 November, a prospect causing consternation in Washington. Two surveys gave the former Marxist revolutionary between 33.8 and 34.4 per cent support, just a whisker short of the 35 per cent he needs to avoid a run-off.

Ortega, ousted in a 1990 election after his Sandinista government had fought a civil war against US-backed Contra guerrillas, has reinvented himself as a moderate and a reconciler who will bring jobs and growth. His campaign colour is pastel pink, his rallies play John Lennon's 'Give Peace a Chance', and his running mate is Jaime Morales, an ex-Contra.

Ortega, 60, is paunchier since his rebel heyday, when he was compared to Che Guevara. Secularism has given way to support for the Catholic Church and its abortion ban campaign. He has declined to debate with rival candidates and focuses on rapturous rallies in the barrios.

This is his third run for President since 1990, and Nicaraguans feel Ortega never went away. But in Washington he is still seen as a threat. US ambassador Paul Trivelli and senior Bush officials have warned Nicaraguans of dire consequences if he wins. 'Their reaction to the prospect that he may well come back now sometimes borders on the hysterical,' said Michael Shifter, of the Inter-American Dialogue, a Washington-based think-tank.

Daniel Ortega is a hair's breadth from regaining power in Nicaragua and staging one of Latin America's most remarkable political comebacks, according to new opinion polls.

Seeing as Ortega now supports the abortion ban of the church, and his running-mate is an ex-Contra, it's fair to say that the Sandanistas are not the party they once were.

We don't need to say jack about their elections, other than point out we're not playing the game.
    AFTER, if we want to be impose sanctions, do it and let them carry on.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Why would the USA care about what Nicaragua does?

The soviet union no longer exists and sandinistas have changed to some kind of center left (in economics)catholic social justice party, no radical commie.

Do yanks have to have an opinioin on everything?
      I need a foot massage

Comment

Well, yes.
        USA isn't like Bolivia, garden spot that it is.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

What does that have to do with that I wrote?

The USA is like chavez, getting involved in the elections of foreign countries
          I need a foot massage

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
            We don't need to say jack about their elections, other than point out we're not playing the game.
            Surely you don't hate Democracy?

Comment

Wouldnt most republicans cream their pants if abortion could be forbidden?

Why would they hate his pseudo sandinista guy?
              I need a foot massage

Comment

What?

Comment

The Great Archives determine you to have gone by the identity:
                  Raphael Ruthven
                  Known in some parts of the world as:
                  Hyperion of The Danube
                  The Great Archives Record:
                  This one caused devastation along the banks of the Great River.
                  I don't know what I am - Pekka

Comment

Originally posted by Brachy-Pride

Please point out what the US has done to get involved in this election. All it said was the US was not happy with the idea of a former enemy regaining power.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand

Read up.

Comment

Why would the USA care about what Nicaragua does?

The soviet union no longer exists and sandinistas have changed to some kind of center left (in economics)catholic social justice party, no radical commie.

Do yanks have to have an opinioin on everything?
                        It's the empire. Everyone, everywhere, is obligated to have governments friendly to our interests.
                        When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin

Please point out what the US has done to get involved in this election. All it said was the US was not happy with the idea of a former enemy regaining power.
                          US ambassador Paul Trivelli and senior Bush officials have warned Nicaraguans of dire consequences if he wins.

Vote for who you want, we'll just **** you if you don't vote the way we like. Given the US history in Nicaragua, that's pretty blatant.
                          When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Working...
                          X