What is the matter with HBO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the matter with HBO?

They just come with all these good series time after time. Why?
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Re: What is the matter with HBO?

Originally posted by Pekka
    They just come with all these good series time after time. Why?
    Because they are willing to give more edgy series a chance. Can you imagine "The Sopranos" on a regular network show?
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

NYPD Blue started on cable television, didn't it?
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

No.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Right... but they also manage to choose the ones that really hit big. They also throw lots of money at it, but still, I find it interesting how they manage to have at least one hit series on the air at any given year.

Also, series are notorious for getting crappy fast, but HBO series usually stay good.
          In da butt.
          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Also, series are notorious for getting crappy fast, but HBO series usually stay good.
            Eh. Oz started good but got repetitive quickly.
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

They put more money per episode and they produce less episodes in a year. They put more time and money in each episodes.
              Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Right... but they also manage to choose the ones that really hit big. They also throw lots of money at it, but still, I find it interesting how they manage to have at least one hit series on the air at any given year.

Well part of that is that HBO series have much smaller seasons usually. Instead of 22 episodes per season demanded by networks (because of commercial $$), HBO won't mind with 12 episode per season. And the new seasons don't always come out the next year, but can take 2 years. This allows more time for better writing per episode.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

I mean you don't just want to watch the episodes of good series, you actually get them on DVD and watch them later on as well. That's a sign of good quality TV..

Sopranos, oz, the wire... the list goes on and on.
                  In da butt.

Comment

The wire is the ****ing ****

I just finished watching the 4th season

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Killing it is the new killing it
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Right, Che. Thanks. Could have used some more detail, but I've grown used to that.
                      It's just that several affiliates of ABC refused to air it.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Me too. The wire has a habit of ending their seasons TOO EARLY!!!
                        In da butt.

Comment

Me too. The wire has a habit of ending their seasons TOO EARLY!!!
                          That is what makes the writing so good, less episodes to write for.

Comment

Sopranos, oz, the wire... the list goes on and on.

...Curb Your Enthusiasm, Mr. Show, Ali G....

I'm halfway through Season 4 of the Wire. Badass
                            "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                            -Bokonon

Comment

Sure. But these HBO series, they seem like.. they're like long movies with intermission in between. I'm not much of a brand fan, but I would be seriously bummed if HBO said that they won't do anymore series, they'll focus on .. manufacturing cars or something.

Because when a great series ends, they are the ones that come up with the new one that you really get interested in.

If I lived in the US, I'd buy HBO for sure. Show some support, even though they must be rolling in money, that's one company I don't mind paying for.
                              In da butt.

Comment

Working...
                              X