X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Next Prez

Friday, October 27, 2006
    Friday Top Five, October 27th

Every Friday, The Next Prez ranks the top five candidates in the Democratic, Republican, and third party races for the 2008 US presidential election. Media coverage, fundraising, poll results, Internet buzz, and long-term potential are considered, among other factors, to produce a weekly snapshot of the race as I see it. This week's rankings:

Democrats

1. Hillary Clinton (rising) -- Topped leading Republican rivals Giuliani and McCain in head-to-head polls for the first time.

2. John Edwards (steady) -- With Warner out of the race, his biggest challengers for the second spot are possible candidacies from Gore and Obama.

3. Russ Feingold (steady) -- The only Senator (from either major party) who can tout three "nay" votes on the anti-libertarian trifecta: the USA Patriot Act, the Iraq war resolution, and the Military Commissions Act.

4. Evan Bayh (steady) -- Warner's departure and ten million in the bank could set up Bayh for an upward move in the polls in 2007.

5. Wesley Clark (rising) -- Extending a strong online presence to an active campaign in New Hampshire and elsewhere.

Republicans

1. Rudy Giuliani (steady) -- New fund-raiser Margaret Hoover has ties to two presidents -- she was an aide to Bush strategist Karl Rove, and is the great-granddaughter of Herbert Hoover.

2. John McCain (steady) -- Edged out Illinois Senator Barack Obama 41-38 percent in a new Fox News poll, including a 36-34 percent edge among independents.

3. Mitt Romney (steady) -- Campaign involvement with the Mormon Church and Brigham Young University might look bad, but the bigger story would have been if they didn't support him.

4. Newt Gingrich (steady) -- Already on the 2008 campaign trail, with visits to Indiana and Ohio in recent days.

5. Bill Frist (steady) -- Advice to fellow Republicans to stop mentioning Iraq in their campaigns shows that Frist might be more in tune with American voters than some of the other GOP contenders.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

What, no Obama?

Comment

How can one be #1 and rising?
      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

"Topped leading Republican rivals Giuliani and McCain in head-to-head polls for the first time."

If Hillary wins, I'm moving to...India.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Still increadibly early.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

So you're anticipating a giant rush by another candidate?

Comment

Booring!

Jimmy Carter should run again. Or at least Walter Mondale.

That's not much to ask.

Comment

We've not even had the 2006 election yet and they're already anointing our next President. Yes, this is a democracy.
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

You don't need a president. Gimme the power
                  "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                  I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                  Middle East!

Comment

No, they're not. It's updated weekly. What pudniks.

Comment

They seem to have forgotten Al Gore.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                        So you're anticipating a giant rush by another candidate?
                        Probably. In 1990, did people know Bill Clinton, Governor of Arkansas would be the candidate? In 1978, did people know Reagan would win the Republican nomination?

People are just spinning their wheels. What happens if Obama declares? It'll throw a wrench into the race.
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

They may not have known that he would win (which was not the point that was raised), but anyone with an ounce of sense would have known by late '78 that Reagan would run again.

Comment

No, they didn't come out of nowhere.
                            We're talking about a poll that will have movement within the rankings. Obama won't be there. Gore, not there.
                            I hope not. If so, that means the Democrats have pissed on their own boots.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                              No, they didn't come out of nowhere.
                              We're talking about a poll that will have movement within the rankings. Obama won't be there. Gore, not there.
                              I hope not. If so, that means the Democrats have pissed on their own boots.
                              If Obama can wade through the waters and come through, he has a very good chance. Probably only Bayh and Clark have better (because Obama is black), but perhaps if Hillary can actually reposition herself as a moderate (don't count on it). Obama has the advantage that he is deeply religious (so they can't pin that on him).

Comment

Working...
                              X