Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does everyone still believe the myth of continental drift?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does everyone still believe the myth of continental drift?

There is no continental drift for which thermal circulation in the mantel may act as cause. It's a stupid and surprisingly irrational *theory* (and thats all it is!) put out by "scientists" who have an agenda.

"Do you dispute that thermal circulation in the mantel is the cause of continental drift?" you might ask.

Just examine the sentence, though.

The Mantel: If I remember correctly, this is the layer of magma supposed to separate Earth's crust from it's core. Trouble is, it's never been observed. There is no evidence for its existence. In fact, the layer of Magma is a supposition which requires the presupposition of both "Crust" and "Core" and, despite the fact that you may think the former is something upon which you walk every day, conceptually, neither of these has ever been observed -- either.

Thermal Circulation within the Magma: Now we're really getting speculative. We're actually daring to identify characteristics of an element (I used the word colloquially) we have never even observed.

Continental Drift: That continents move is merely an hypothesis -- an hypothesis that was once thought complete nonsense by respectable scientists. Ooops. It still is. It's been replaced now by something called "Plate Techtonics" which is wholly unrelated to continents and merely argues that randomly devised pieces of the Earth's crust float around and underneath one another. Trouble is, the concept is still taught in schools by reference to the "natural fit" of South America and Africa -- the two landmasses that inspired the drift idea in the first place. No one's stopped to notice since then that the new Tectonic Theory won't explain the drift of continents unless a continent happens to -- wholly by happenstance mind you -- sit atop a discrete plate.

Nevertheless, this action has (of course) never been observed. Despite the use of radar and lasers to measure the movement of the Earth's crust, all that we know is certain parts of the Earth have shifted laterally, in relation to other parts of the Earth, in the tiniest measures, since observations were first made. Little of this movement has been predicted on the basis of the Plate Tectonic Theory. Instead, wherever new movement is detected, geologists simply sketch in a new, heretofore "undetected" surface plate. That's the mark of a theory that can never be falsified.

Perhaps most tellingly, it's important to recall that the entire theory was developed to explain an apparent congruity existing between the opposing shores of the southern Atlantic. One might wonder why drift theories have never been invoked to explain the natural fit between the opposite shores of any given river.

Yet the congruity between Western Africa and Eastern South America is as likely to be no more than coincidence. The Earth appears to produce an enormous number of replicated shapes -- some of which are truly uncanny. For example, tip Africa 45 degrees south-east, examine the shape, and then compare it with that of Australia. But for scale, it's a rather good match. Even the horn of Africa is reproduced by northern Queensland. Should we develop a new geology to explain this congruity? Spend some time studying a map and you will find many such matches.

So we have exactly zero evidence of Continental Drift -- and I haven't even told you the most damning argument (I gotta leave something for you to figure out).

...is the cause of... Lastly, you link together all of these ideas causally. Notice that you are thus claiming that an unobserved force, existing within an unobserved element, produces an unobserved effect. Ahh...the wonder of science!
    Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Interesting read. Who is the British author?

Comment

Got him.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Just because you can't defend "continental drift" doesn't mean you have to attack, Winston. Though I realise you tend to resort to that when you lose an argument

Comment

Cor blimey, what a comeback.

Comment

-i/10
            You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Dinosaurs with protest signs.
              "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Isnt oerdin a geologist?

I want to know what he thinks about this
                I need a foot massage

Comment

1shmae1 is my hero.
                  ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Comment

I'd approve of this thread except my brain is currently oozing out of my nostrils from spending the past 7 or 8 hours working on one program.

Comment

Originally posted by Brachy-Pride
                        Isnt oerdin a geologist?

I want to know what he thinks about this
                        That it's complete drivel.
                        When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Behold, the TRUE story of "drifting" continents!

Earth: The planet so special, it defied the Laws of Thermodynamics.
                          The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs
                            Behold, the TRUE story of "drifting" continents!

Earth: The planet so special, it defied the Laws of Thermodynamics.

Comment

This theory of an expanding Earth developed in the early days of continental drift theory, back when scientists didn't have a ****ing clue what caused it. It was just as legitimate a theory as any other at that time. Now, it's just a punchline.
                              The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Working...
                              X