Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i also cant read the filenames of the last few boxes
    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

500GB external drive.
      Its frustrating the amount of space you lose after formatting. I just bought a 400GB hard drive. After formatting it, 372 GB remains...
      Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Originally posted by Thue
        I hope that is a joke
        Not a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
          Ubuntu
          I can't stand KDE. Gnome > KDE.
          Ubuntu had a new release two days back ( Edgy Eft , 6.10 ) . Included Firefox 2 , an asynchronous replacement for sysvinit which speeds up booting considerably , the latest version of Gnome ( 2.16 ) , along with a number of other goodies . You can get it here .

Comment

Originally posted by nostromo
            Its frustrating the amount of space you lose after formatting. I just bought a 400GB hard drive. After formatting it, 372 GB remains...
            It's not formatting...

HD manufacturers advertise "400GB" where a megabyte is 1000 bytes, not 1024. When you format, the number is the correct one.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I've always liked Ubuntu. I'm hopelessly tied to Fedora Core, but if I had to switch, I'd go with Ubuntu. apt >>> yum, but whatever. The Fedora team does a damn good job with their distribution.

Comment

Originally posted by Straybow
                Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                2D sucks. Humans are best at dealing with 1D information.

No, this is not a joke, Thue. It is very difficult to compare both height and width of the boxes visually. Small differences are hard to guage.

If the files were represented as bars of uniform thickness then the length represents file size and the eye can guage differences much easier. The file size information is one-dimensional, the second dimension is file identitiy. They don't even have to be reordered as long as a background grid lets you see how files compare that aren't close to each other.
                Well, in this case you only need an approximate feeling of where the big files are, in which case displaying all the 2D boxes (in various forms) at once is more useful than displaying a few bars, as in Treesize.
                http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

I think you have a very different idea of what nice interfaces are from everybody else. This is probably why Freeciv is one of the most fugly games I've ever seen.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Ouch
                    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Well how this has passed as an interface for many years is beyond me...

Comment

Originally posted by Thue
                        Well, in this case you only need an approximate feeling of where the big files are, in which case displaying all the 2D boxes (in various forms) at once is more useful than displaying a few bars, as in Treesize.
                        The bars give an instant impression as well, and one that is infinitely easier for people to get. And you can actually read the filenames.

Comment

I think you have a very different idea of what nice interfaces are from everybody else. This is probably why Freeciv is one of the most fugly games I've ever seen.

Then you offer to work on it they say, "Interface is not a priority" and hide the code under a pizza box.
                          (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                          (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                          (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Working...
                          X