Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pekka, check your PMs.
    "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
    "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
    "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

There is one fundamental problem with it. It means if I get the spot in the company, I would have to turn it down, and that woudl be a huge bridge burner. That's the reason I worked there this summer, the summer before that etc. I worked hard for it.

I've been negotiating this thesis spot for what? over 2 months now? Now if they say OK we will give you the spot and the next thing I do is say 'I wont' take it'... ? I have no spot in that company after that. It's a huge international one.. the one that offers management trainee position, high paying positions abroad etc..

So, I would burn that bridge I worked so hard for. I just think that would be a bad bad bad idea.

This is why I think, I should take the spot and say to my prof that I'd like to work the project, but I wouldn't do thesis on it. But I do everything else, maybe I can be an assistant (in general) for the Uni for this period, I don't care if this time exceeds the time I do my thesis, I want to complete this as well.
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Basically.. I've used so much work for the last few years to aim high in this company. Also, I've done a lot of work to use ALL my connections in that company, not only including my boss but many other people. I've made them do my favour by contacting people and supporting me and pressuring the folks. So they've been bombarded by managers, it wasn't easy but I got them to do this favour for me, and I have been very clear that this is what I want, this is my dream.

Now if they say OK you got it, and I just turn it down? It's not only that I lose my opportunity in that company, it's also that I used all these people to do my this favour. For example I'll let my boss knwo if I got the job or not. Now I'd have to tell them that I didn't want it? They e-mailed people, made phone calls etc.

You know?
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Sounds like you've made up your mind.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I definitely have not made up my mind. I've taken a lot of argumentation of 'talk me out of this hospital thing', I know.

So that's why I seek strategies that allows me to play both teams if given the opportunity and not burning a single bridge. LIke I said, I don't have time constraints.
            In da butt.

Comment

1. Take advantage of this opportunity.
              2. If the prof is indeed going to be a mentor to you, take advantage of that. Tell him about your long-term goals, ask his advice on reaching them -- while still working on this research project.
              3. You said you can still freely choose your thesis topic. So the IT security door is still open.
              4. So take advantage of this opportunity!
              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Then let the hospital guys know what you've already been offered and how hard you've worked to get there, but you'll willing to do their work, so they won't feel blindsided if something happens. If time is truely not an issue, then you might be able to do both.
                But the key will let both parties know as much as possible.
                If it turns them off, oh well. At least it won't seem that you weren't eager to do whatever it took.

The most important thing is showing enough gratitude that you were considered.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Right. Now I'm hearing stuff I like. See? I'm choosing what I like .

The main wish is to.. play both things but not transmit a feeling of not being loyal, not being really interested and not appreciating someone elses efforts for helping me.

So you got it right guys. And it's not just about not hurting anyones feelings, I am genuinely interested in both, but if I burn the other one, I'll get burned anyway no matter which one I choose.

It gets better, the hospital guys will get this project done no matter what I do. The professor will just pick another student for this thing. So this project and the relationship is tightly between me and the professor. SO the professor is the one I try to .. not piss off.

But the company won't care if I do some other studies, I mean it is expected.. to study when you are at school . So they are not even interested about that if they accept me. So I don't even have to worry about that, I only have to worry how to discuss this issue with my professor.
                  In da butt.

Comment

Just make sure you set the right expectations. And I do hope you have time for both.
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Right expectations, what do you mean by that?

And all I got is time. Have nothing else to do.
                      In da butt.

Comment

Verify what exactly is expected of you for each task, so you can make sure you satisfy them. Nothing worse than working hard but to the wrong end.
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Build one defensive unit, then build fast units. Try to take the fight to your enemy.

Once he is trying to deal with your fast units, then move on to building artillery type units to mop him up.

JM
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN
                          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

OK so it's been few months already when I pitched my idea for the company. I just had a reply from there, this one manager called yesterday to the person who is presenting my idea to someone else who is making that decision. (I've known about this ... for some time now that this is how it will go down).

That person who is representing my idea is in India right now and has been extremely busy for a good time now, but he is getting back next week and intends to do my thing then. So I should be hearing back quickly, plus the manager who called that person also said that he will check upon him in the next week so if he doesn't reply, he'll be calling him again.

You see, I'm pulling ropes here and I just can't say no I don't want to come.. and that wouldn't be even true, I want to come! So I'm just going to have to play for the both teams as far as working comes, my professor will have to understand my position. I will be on that side as well though so.. there's no misunderstandings. That's they way it has to go.

But it's not an easy one. THe professor is connected. More than any individual in the company but of course less than the company itself.

So far, my strategy has been relying on always getting go the next step by using the old step. So I'm not even doing steps that doesn't take me further. Now I'm in a situation where if unfortunate, one step might burn but I'm looking to create two steps instead.
                            In da butt.

Comment

Working...
                            X