Iranian government and Hezbollah charged over Argentina bomb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iranian government and Hezbollah charged over Argentina bomb

I wish the Argentine government luck but I doubt they will be able to get justice for the 85 dead and 300 wounded Argentine citizens.

Iran charged over Argentina bomb

The Iranian government and Lebanese militia group Hezbollah have been formally charged over the 1994 bombing of a Jewish centre in Buenos Aires.

Argentine prosecutors are calling for the arrest of former Iranian President Hashemi Rafsanjani and seven others.

Chief prosecutor Alberto Nisman accused the Iranian authorities of directing Hezbollah to carry out the attack.

Hezbollah and Iran both deny that they were involved in the blast, which killed 85 and wounded 300.

The blast, on 18 July 1994, reduced the seven-storey Jewish-Argentine Mutual Association (AMIA) community centre in Buenos Aires to rubble.

Nobody has ever been convicted of the attack, but the current government has said it is determined to secure justice.

'Hallmarks'

Over the years, the case has been marked by rumours of cover-ups and accusations of incompetence, but little in the way of hard evidence.

Minor figures, including a policeman who sold the van used in the attack, have been named, but no-one has been convicted.

Local Jewish groups have long said the bombing bore the hallmarks of Iranian-backed Islamic militants.

Iran has repeatedly and vehemently denied any involvement in the attack.

Last November, an Argentine prosecutor said a member of Hezbollah was behind the attack and had been identified in a joint operation by Argentine intelligence and the FBI.

But Hezbollah said that the man, Ibrahim Hussein Berro, had died in southern Lebanon while fighting Israel.

The 1992 bombing of the Israeli embassy in Buenos Aires, which killed 29 people, also remains unsolved.
    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

So they seem to have some evidence against Hizbollah.
    But the text doesn´t say if the claim that Iran was involved is backed by evidences, too
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Hezbullah = Iran

Comment

The former cantor of my synagogue was from Argentina (of Syrian-Ladino origin) and he lost friends in that bombing.

Not to say this was more important than other losses of life, just to add a personal note.
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Sirotnikov
          Hezbullah = Iran
          Israel = USA

But nobody holds the US leaglly reponsible for the ****ups of the IDF, now do they ?

On the matter at hand: I hope finally they get the responsiles for this crime and put them away for a long time.
          "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Hezbollah gets the vast, vast majority of its funds from Iran and so it is beholden to Iran. Israel gets the vast, vast majority (98%-99%) of its funds via normal taxation thus is not beholden to the US.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

ok, but without the support of the US (both economically as diplomatically) things would not be as easy for them as they are now.

so by the same logic as the leftenant is using the american governement is at least partially responsible of what is being carried out with their support.

note that this is not my personal opinion.

Comment

Hezbollah is not a state. Thus, Argentina pretty much has to go after their primary state backer, Iran.

-Arrian
                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Maybe...

Anyway, I hope finally something comes from this.

to Argentina for taking the lead in something the entire west should have done in the first place. Show some teeth to the arab governements (without bombing them into the stoneage).

Comment

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

oh yes, and for sloww : NUKE EM NUKE EM !!!!

Comment

You've never heard me say nuke someone. I'm laughing at the thought of Argentina taking the lead in anything.
                        They have enough problems keeping Bolivians out, don't they?

EDIT: I take that back. Years ago here, I did make a comment about the amount of glass Iraq would make.
                        I'm honest if nothing else.
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I am offended!

;P

And this is all Argentina can do, it is not like they can send their fleet and bomb the **** out of iran like the americans did in afghanistan(not that there was anything wrong with it), both Chile and Peru have a better military than Argentina.

Anyway, what I believe will happen is, nothing, because Argentina isnt very powerful, but iran and argentina will probably break diplomatic relations.
                          Which may separate venezuala from argentina, since chavez is so cudly with amedinejad.
                          I need a foot massage

Comment

Originally posted by dannubis

Israel = USA

But nobody holds the US leaglly reponsible for the ****ups of the IDF, now do they ?
                            Nice try,

but I doubt Mossad operatives were ever directed, financed and operated by the CIA.

Comment

Working...
                            X