Modern life in a concentration camp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modern life in a concentration camp

I've just heard this story in the news, and thought You'd like it, I decided to post it.

In the 60s, some of the barracks (by which I mean small wooden temporary buildings) of concentration camp in Majdanek were deconstructed. Some were used to repair the ones remaining. Some were used for another purpouse.

They were rebuilt in Belzyce village and used as social apartaments. They stand till today, inhabited. Of course, the conditions of them are kind of miserable. No water, no canalisation, probably no gas as well. They are falling apart and have many more inhabitants than just humans.
    The village promesses to its inhabitants it will build new barracks for them - next year.

---

btw, they say in Poland that what is ment as temporary is bound to stay the longest.

In the fifties temporary wooden barracks were built for soviet workers constructing The Palace of Culture and Science, Stalin's gift for reconstructed Warsaw. The barracks are standing till today, used as students' academics. I was supposed to live in a place like this, but decided to decline this tempting proposition

Of course, much worse things happen in Poland. And much more surreal. I remember that in some quater of Warsaw I think, people were also living in falling apart wooden barracks (I've seen the photos and it was scary), never repaired, without water and stuff, which would be bad itself, but the city made the inhabitants pay the rent for "apartaments of high standart"
    Last edited by Heresson; October 24, 2006, 14:13.
    "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
    I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
    Middle East!

buildings often have "interesting" histories

I went to school in a former detention centre for german pows

I've worked in a building were a relative was tortured to death by the gestapo

at least these buildings were renovated since then. what you are talking about sounds worse
    CSPA

Comment

oh and one good thing about the The Palace of Culture and Science is the amazing view from the top
      CSPA

Comment

Working...
      X