Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fact filled article on why the current Congress is the worst ever.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We get it, we get it! Stop telling us how you're not a broken record already.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Basically, I'm giving up on poly. You can't have a decent discussion here unlike places like Speakeasy. I guess there is something to limiting the posters to people current posters already know; it just seems to keep the punters out and instead you get meaningful discussion.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher
        We get it, we get it! Stop telling us how you're not a broken record already.
        I wish it were that easy. Some people continue to make the same bogus charges so I'm left with allowing the BS to go unchallenged (in which case some people will think the BS is true) or continually refuting their charge.

Either way it sucks.

Comment

• I'm left with allowing the BS to go unchallenged (in which case some people will think the BS is true) or continually refuting their charge.

(in which case people still think it's true)

Comment

• Originally posted by Oerdin
            I guess there is something to limiting the posters to people current posters already know; it just seems to keep the punters out and instead you get meaningful discussion.
            That sounds more like a bobblehead circle-jerk function to me...
            Unbelievable!

Comment

and instead you get meaningful discussion.
              Not only that, you get FACT-FILLED, NON-PARTISAN discussion!

As much as you can eat!

Comment

• Originally posted by Eroberer
                "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." -- good advice.

I saw a lot of people telling Oerdin to shut up, but who agreed with the basic material. I agree about debating the source, but I thought this was a particularly good article from such a magazine. Obviously the Republicans in office have missed off more people than usual.
                Good advice in general.

However, you also seem to imply that one needs to agree with the basic material. That is not necessarily a given though. Isn't that the basis of discussion. If your expectation is that all must fawn and aquiesce to the brilliance of the article I feel that is inherently what is wrong. Further how boring. Oerdin has habitually referred to anyone of a differing viewpoint as a hypocritical partisan, a ********, a moron, morally bankrupt etc. and whats worse is even if they believe as he does the repugs worthy of scooting out of office.

No plenty of people here have had to thicken their skin and laugh off the inane and pathetic insults. While the insulting behavior is wrong and responding in kind equally wrong (which I admit I fully partake in for certain targeted posters, Oerdin was not one and I have no intention of stooping to that level to him in the future if he ever decides to

a) post here again or b) ever take me off ignore )

Your sentiment is appropriate that civility should be the norm. But expecting agreement, not so much.
                "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius871
                  That sounds more like a bobblehead circle-jerk function to me...
                  No, they have people from all different backgrounds and spots of the political spectrium.

Comment

As perviously stated. This is entirely new and not at all related to any other thread I have recently made. You, my friend, are the broken record here.
                    What, that our current congress is inept and crooked? I don't know if you haven't posted on it before (though I think you have), but that's hardly news to me either way. And I rather wish you had posted something from CBS. Hell, why don't you post some rants Hunter S. Thompson made against Bush before he shot himself (I'm assuming such rants exist)? If you're going to post vulgar packs of personal slurs, they can at least be well-written and amusing vulgar packs of personal slurs. The "facts" which we all already knew can be dispensed with.
                    1011 1100
                    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

• Even if said facts have never actually been discussed or examined in any meaningful way at apolyton?

Comment

• We've never, to my knowledge, held discussions on the way dry wood burns better than wet, or how come an all ice cream diet makes you fat.

Now, if you're going to ask "how did this happen?" that might be worth discussing, though it is dead depressing all the same.

No, wait. Come to think of it, you can even post the facts if you want AFAIC, just use a source that doesn't sound like a second-grader calling someone names. Citizens Against Government Waste, just off the top of my head; they're an unaffiliated group and I haven't heard anything bad about them. I think they've accepted contributions from Phillip Morris, but that's the worst I've heard and it's not too bad considering how little pork goes into subsidising the tobacco industry compared to miscellaneous crap like Centers for the Study of Guano Technology. Then again, I don't check into it that much.
                        1011 1100
                        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius871
                          Am I the only one amused that Pap's devoting so much time and vitriol lecturing other people on how to ignore posts they find annoying?

I mean, ignoring Kuci's incessant unsubstantive whining about Oerdin is so damned hard! I mean, the little "reply with quote" link just drags your helpless mouse over itself, and then, powerless to stop your fingers, you click on it! OH MY GOD! There was nothing you could possibly do, right? I mean, Kuci posts the same exact complaints in ten threads! How could one ignore ten threads! Its just plain too hard....
                          This general behavior is ruining Poly. Half the threads now that could be substantive are filled with junk, andf its not even entertaining trolling, just tired ****. This is particularly agregious in this thread since the article Oerdin posted is far more substantial than most other threads out here. I personally would love to have a discussion on this very article, not ruined by the now sadly regular whinning.
                          If you don't like reality, change it! me
                          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• Half the threads now that could be substantive are filled with junk

Quite possible, but then why aren't you complaining in those threads?

Comment

No, they have people from all different backgrounds and spots of the political spectrium.
                              Sorry, from the way you worded your post before it sounded like a site function that determines who will be allowed to post in what threads.
                              Unbelievable!

Comment

• Look, I hate the GOP with a passion bordering on obsessiveness, and even I think Oerdin's going overboard.
                                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Working...
                                X