Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The controversy of culture, symbols, and their meanings.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The controversy of culture, symbols, and their meanings.

Apparently the thread I started on the topic of the Confederate flag brought passionate, legitimate debate mixed up with personal insults, and bigoted comments.

The fact that some people in the previous thread think that I believe that my being gay gives me expert knowledge above everyone else on the Civil War and race issues is simply ludicrous, especially after I made my clarification, and people still misunderstood me. My being gay simply gives me a perspective from that of a minority group member from my own life experiences, and when I relate my epxeriences with friends who are also gay. Where my knowledge of the Civil War and race relations REALLY comes from, is my pasttime reading, and undergraduate and graduate studies of these particular topics.

Secondly, the fact that I believe the Confederate flag is a symbol of white supremacy does not equate with any prejudiced belief that all white Southerners are racist. In my opinion, there could be much more inclusive, constructive ways for white Southerners to express regional, cultural pride. In spite of my German ancestry for example, I will NEVER use the swatiska to express my ethnic/cultural pride.

Having said that, I'm sure some people will still fail to grasp what I'm saying.

We can try broadening this discussion to include not only the Confederate flag, but also other symbols that are very controversial due to their different perceived meanings. I would be curious to know of such controversial symbols in other countires -- the swatiska in European countries being only one of the more obvious ones. What about India, China, Latin American countries, or other countries? What highly controversial, contested symbols that are laden with history exist in those or other countries? I look forward to hearing from Apolytoners who live in such countries, if they feel so inclined to share what they have experienced, and what they know.
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

the swastika is just a variant of the cross and the cross goes waaaay back. I believe Hebrew was Habiru meaning the people of the crossing. "Nibiru", Sitchens 12th planet, was Sumerian for planet of the crossing. The Earth is commonly depicted as a cross within a circle. The swastika appears in the 4 corners area of the american SW, dont know if it was Hopi (and possibly Pueblo and therefore possibly Fremont or Anasazi) or imported by the Navaho.

Oh, you wanted controversy

nevermind

Comment

Re: The controversy of culture, symbols, and their meanings.

Comment

Re: Re: The controversy of culture, symbols, and their meanings.

Originally posted by Winston
        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Working...
        X