IE 7 twice as fast as IE 6.... Still beaten to a pulp by Firefox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IE 7 twice as fast as IE 6.... Still beaten to a pulp by Firefox

Stay up to date with Zimbra Email & Collaboration developments, news, patches, Zimlets, tips & more. Zimbra & our Customers, Partners and Friends!

Microsoft's IE team has clearly been hard at work on improving their browser's memory management and JavaScript performance. IE 7 has made some significant leaps forward based on some initial in house testing here at Zimbra. We are in general observing about a 2x performance improvement with IE 7 vs IE 6 when using the Zimbra Web Client (ZWC).

We also looked at the performance of Firefox, IE 6, and IE 7 over a set of common ZWC operations such as logging in, viewing messages, navigating around various folders, viewing contacts, and performing various calendar operations. The graph below shows the relative performance of each browser against the other

Again we see that across just about every operation, IE 7 performs better than IE 6; however, for the most part Firefox still beats out IE 7. When we looked at the sum total time it takes for all operations to be performed (admittedly a coarse grained metric), we noticed that IE 7 was about twice as fast as IE 6; however, Firefox was more than twice as fast as IE 7 and about four times faster than IE 6.

graph: http://www.zimbra.com/blog/archives/...rowserperf.jpg

Hero, Siro. Let me do this for you.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Of course that graph is perfectly legible.

They also don't mention that Firefox takes up 10 times as much RAM as IE.

Comment

You can see the colors, ol' worthless one. That's all that really matters.

It would take a lot to move me off Opera.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
          Of course that graph is perfectly legible.

They also don't mention that Firefox takes up 10 times as much RAM as IE.
          I can't asnwer that since I don't have IE 7 yet.

But I can tell you that Firefox does NOT hide critical parts of itself as "system components"

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
            Hero, Siro. Let me do this for you.
            I kinda know how it's done.

I just didn't want to load a huge ass graphic that would disrput the screen for most people, and create a horizontal scroll bar

Comment

Originally posted by Sirotnikov
              I can't asnwer that since I don't have IE 7 yet.

But I can tell you that Firefox does NOT hide critical parts of itself as "system components"
              Those parts are going to be in memory anyway (other programs use IE's rendering library too), so I don't care. All I care about is that running many tabs in Firefox uses ~500 MB above normal after a while. I still use Firefox, but I'd love it if they fixed* the memory issues

*in theory it's a feature, not a bug, but it's a really annoying feature

Comment

Ehm, I use tabs all the time, and this used to bug me too.

But there are several tweaks you can do in about:config that solve that!

Search the web for firefox memory tweaks or whatever

Comment

Getting a little snappy in you old age, Siro.

Comment

I already said that IE7 scrolls through Gmail very slowly on my old PC. This was very disappointing to me in trying to debate how soon to upgrade ('cus I know it's mandatory).

Opera is still the best. I regularly operate with many tabs open, and I've never seen it take over 170-MB or so of RAM.

Comment

Slow - explain

Comment

faulty logic

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

Those parts are going to be in memory anyway (other programs use IE's rendering library too), so I don't care. All I care about is that running many tabs in Firefox uses ~500 MB above normal after a while. I still use Firefox, but I'd love it if they fixed* the memory issues

*in theory it's a feature, not a bug, but it's a really annoying feature
                        Uhm... if you have 10 tabs open on a FireFox, a valid RAM-usage comparison is not with a single IE browser. It's with 10 opened IE browsers. Tell you what: Open up IE6 10 times, check RAM usage. Open up FFox 1.5 and open up 10 tabs of the same pages, check RAM usage again. So which one spends "up to 10 times more" RAM than the other again?

Comment

Alright who screwed up the formatting on this page by loading a big graphic?!
                          He's got the Midas touch.
                          But he touched it too much!
                          Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Working...
                          X