Ahmadinejad's World

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ahmadinejad's World

On another thread I referred to Ahmadinejad's role in using children as minesweepers and human waves. The link points to the full article.

“In the past,” wrote the semi-official Iranian daily Ettela’at, “we had child-volunteers: 14-, 15-, and 16-year-olds. They went into the mine fields. Their eyes saw nothing. Their ears heard nothing. And then, a few moments later, one saw clouds of dust. When the dust had settled again, there was nothing more to be seen of them. Somewhere, widely scattered in the landscape, there lay scraps of burnt flesh and pieces of bone.” Such scenes could henceforth be avoided, Ettela’at assured its readers. “Before entering the mine fields, the children [now] wrap themselves in blankets and they roll on the ground, so that their body parts stay together after the explosion of the mines and one can carry them to the graves.”

The human wave tactic was implemented as follows: the barely armed children and teenagers had to move continuously forward in perfectly straight rows. It did not matter whether they fell as canon fodder to enemy fire or detonated the mines with their bodies: the important thing was that the Basiji continued to move forward over the torn and mutilated remains of their fallen comrades, going to their deaths in wave after wave.[8] The tactic produced some undeniable initial successes for the Iranian side. “They come toward our positions in huge hordes with their fists swinging,” an Iraqi officer complained in Summer 1982, “You can shoot down the first wave, and then the second. But at some point the corpses are piling up in front of you, and all you want to do is scream and throw away your weapon. Those are human beings, after all!”[9] By Spring 1983, the Pasdaran had sent some 450,000 Basiji in shifts to the front. After three months, whoever survived his deployment was sent back to his school or workplace.

One western journalist actually expirienced a human wave attack firsthand.

I believe that that is the main reason why they could never win a fight with a western country even if they had technological parity.

It's just wrong to send children to attack, no way around it.

BTW., because of those tactics and other things, many people think of Iranians as crazy fanatics whom you can't defeat unless you kill them all. It is not so. Iranian casaulties in the war against Iraq, although huge, were still below European casaulties in WWI when seen as percentage of population. Yet Iran had to accept peace because morale collapsed in Teheran.

Comment

Vietnam used women and children with bombs strapped on.
      Disgusting strategy that clearly points out the differences in attitude separating the west from the rest of the world.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

One section of the article deals with the history of suicide attacks in political and religious contexts :

While it is true that in the 1930s, the Muslim Brothers had already established the motto “Victory or Martyrdom”, they aimed at assuring that every Muslim who found himself against his will in a hopeless situation would sacrifice his life rather than capitulate. The Basiji, however, rushed to certain death in a situation that was not hopeless: such a practice was completely alien to the Muslim Brothers. This is the most significant legacy of the Ayatollah Khomeini. The destructive energy that would find its most condensed expression in the attacks of September 11th had its origin in the sacrifice of the Basiji.

It is true that there were already suicide attacks against Israelis in the mid-1970s. But these were the work of Marxist-oriented groups like the PFLP-GC. The first Islamically-motivated suicide attack against Israel took place in southern Lebanon on November 11, 1982. The perpetrator was the 15-year-old Ahmad Qusayr: a follower of the then only just emerging Shia militia, Hizbullah. He had been inspired by the model of the Basiji. Khomeini personally consecrated the act of the 15-year old with a Fatwa. Later, he had a memorial built for Ahmad Qusayr in Tehran.[26] Following the lead of Hizbullah, in 1993 the Sunni Hamas likewise began to employ suicide bombings. In the meanwhile, Khomeini’s innovation has become the calling card of Islamist movements throughout the world.

Comment

Iran easily had the technical capacity to build tanks with flails attached to the front similar to the mine clearing tanks developed by Britain in WW2.
          "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
            Vietnam used women and children with bombs strapped on.
            Disgusting strategy that clearly points out the differences in attitude separating the west from the rest of the world.
            Yes, sure. There is a morally superior "west" and there is "barbarity", seperated by an abyss of bomb strapped children.

As if western generals were incapable to think of human material only in terms of number and cost and effect.
            "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
            "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Originally posted by Wernazuma III
              As if western generals were incapable to think of human material only in terms of number and cost and effect.
              Yes, utterly incapable

"I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Golda Meir´s quote hurts so much because it is true
                I need a foot massage

Comment

Originally posted by Brachy-Pride
                  Golda Meir´s quote hurts so much because it is true
                  I don't see its relelvance to Iran, however.
                  "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                  "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                  "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

I thought this was an Islamic sequel to Wayne's World...
                      Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
                        Iran easily had the technical capacity to build tanks with flails attached to the front similar to the mine clearing tanks developed by Britain in WW2.
                        And?

The Iranians needed the few tanks they had for something more useful than mine clearence, like fighting.
                        If you don't like reality, change it! me
                        "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                        "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                        "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

The article is well written, but the author fails to back his obvious dislike of the Iranian regime with logical arguements. He believes that just laying out what occured is enough, as if his arguement were self-evident.

Unfortunately for him, it isn't self-evident, and thus the artciel is a fine failure.

Comment

The article is well written, but the author fails to back his obvious dislike of the Iranian regime with logical arguements. He believes that just laying out what occured is enough, as if his arguement were self-evident.

I think that for most people it is enough. If your mind doesn't immediately revolt at the thought of using children as minesweepers, I'm a little disturbed.

Comment

I guess I am more in tuned with human history and reality than you. Must be my inability to insinuate myself from humanity by simply going into yet another bathroom.

Comment

Working...
                              X