Internet user admits 'web-rage'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet user admits 'web-rage'

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

An internet user has been found guilty of what police said was Britain's first "web-rage" attack.

Paul Gibbons, 47, tracked down John Jones using details obtained online after the pair exchanged insults in an internet chatroom, a court heard.

He travelled 70 miles to Mr Jones' home in Clacton, Essex, and beat him up with a pickaxe handle in December 2005.

Gibbons, of Southwark, south London, admitted unlawful wounding and will be sentenced on 7 November.

Threatening exchanges

The pair met in an internet chatroom called Yahoo, Islam 10 as both had an interest in the Muslim faith, the Old Bailey was told.

Their exchanges soured after Gibbons accused Mr Jones of spreading rumours about him.

"There was an exchange of views between the victim and the defendant which were threatening on both sides," said prosecutor Ibitayo Adebayo.

Gibbons, a man with a violent past, traced Mr Jones to his home using personal details about himself that he had put online.

Cut with a knife

Gibbons arrived at Mr Jones' home armed and accompanied by another man carrying a machete, the court heard.

Mr Jones, whose partner and three children were in the house, opened the door holding a knife for protection, said Mr Adebayo.

A fight broke out during which Mr Jones was disarmed and beaten with the pickaxe handle and cut with the knife.

Gibbons fled after the victim's partner called for help. Mr Jones suffered cuts to his head, neck and hands.

Identity safety

Det Cons Christopher Creagh, of the Metropolitan Police, said: "This is the first instance of a web-rage attack."

Det Sgt Jean-Marc Bazzoni, of Essex Police, added the case demonstrates the importance of protecting one's identity on the internet.

"Mr Jones had posted pictures of his family on the web and had chatted to Gibbons on an audio link," he said.

"It demonstrates how easily other users can put two and two together and also shows how children could also find themselves in danger."
    By luck we have Ming watching us, and protecting us from ourself!!
    bleh

Must explain why Agathon has stopped posting. What has Asher done to him?
    In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Ming=Leviathan
      In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris
        Must explain why Agathon has stopped posting. What has Asher done to him?
        bleh

Comment

B==D * --> B==D O

I'm sure.
          B♭3

Comment

Aggie the Gimp.
            "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

We had a similar case.

There was one certain turkish user (lets call him User X) who was banned because he harassed other users in their private lifes (for example by constantly calling them on the phone despite the users told him clearly that they didn´t want them (these user, mostly women, at the beginning gave him their phone numbers freely, because he seemed nice on the outside, but normally when they later discovered that he had deep psychological problems wanted to quit contact with him))).

Then a short time after User X was banned there was a large meeting between users of this forum and User X somehow got the information where this meeting would take place.
              So he suddenly appeared at the meeting (although he wasn´t invited of course) started to insult a couple of users and finally nearly started a brawl with one of the users, which could only be avoided when another (female and also turkish) user of our forum talked to him.

One of the first things that you learn if you are a moderator or admin in a large internet forum is, that there are a lot of truely sick people on the web

Edit: Just corrected a few errors
              Last edited by Proteus_MST; October 18, 2006, 12:46.
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Crazy stuff.

Speaking of crazy, Agathon still posts occasionally over at MZO.

-Arrian
                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Working...
                X