X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Judge vacates conviction of late Enron founder Lay

03:45 PM CDT on Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Associated Press

HOUSTON - A federal judge Tuesday vacated the conviction of Enron founder Kenneth Lay who died in July, wiping out a jury's verdict that he committed fraud and conspiracy in the months before his company's collapse.

Lay was convicted of 10 counts of fraud, conspiracy and lying to banks in two separate cases on May 25. He died of heart disease July 5 while vacationing with his wife, Linda, in Aspen, Colo.

U.S. District Judge Sim Lake, in a ruling Tuesday, agreed with Lay's lawyers that his death required erasing his convictions. They cited a 2004 ruling from the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals that found that a defendant's death pending appeal extinguished his entire case because he hadn't had a full opportunity to challenge the conviction and the government shouldn't be able to punish a dead defendant or his estate.

Tuesday's ruling thwarts the government's bid to seek $43.5 million in ill-gotten gains prosecutors allege he pocketed by participating in Enron's fraud. The government could still pursue those gains in civil court, but they would have to compete with other litigants, if any, also pursuing Lay's estate.

Prosecutors asked Lake to delay this ruling until Monday, the scheduled sentencing date, so Congress can consider legislation from the Justice Department that changes current federal law regarding the abatement of criminal convictions. Congress recessed for the elections without considering the legislation.

"Certain provisions of the (legislation) would be directly relevant to the situation presented by defendant Lay's death," prosecutors Sean Berkowitz and John Hueston wrote in their motion. "For example ... the (legislation) provides that the death of a defendant charged with a criminal offense shall not be the basis for abating or otherwise invalidating either a verdict returned or the underlying indictment."

Enron crumbled into bankruptcy proceedings in December 2001, obliterating thousands of jobs and $60 billion in market value.

Lay's co-defendant, former Enron chief executive Jeffrey Skilling, is scheduled to be sentenced on Monday.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Leaving Lay's family free to enjoy his ill-gotten gains.

No way that was a natural death.
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

This ruling prevents the government from persuing 43.5 million in ill gotten gains that were covered by this trial.

They can still persue it in civil court , but would have no more standing than all the other litigants.
      "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

A puzzling ruling.

Appeals involve questions of law and can be adequately handled by the attorneys. Questions of fact are resolved by the jury during trial -- except in those rare cases where it can be shown that no evidence supported their findings of fact. Lay doesn't need to be alive for his appeal to go on.

Comment

I wonder how much the Lay family paid for that ruling.

Comment

I wonder if it would be enough for the psychiatric help you so desperately need.

Comment

Or enough tinfoil to protect you from the NSA's mind-control rays.

Comment

Are you saying you think this was an appropriate ruling?
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Of course it was. He died before he had a chance to appeal. The precedent is clear.

Comment

So his family keeps the money. Nice. Ok. I was just curious.

Comment

His family would have kept the money if he appealed and was found innocent, too. He never got the chance. And as the article says, they can still launch a civil suit.

Comment

If he was found innocent? Kuci, that wasn't happening.
                        His running buddy Jeffrey Skilling was also found guilty.
                        Yes, he can appeal. Anyone can appeal.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
                          Leaving Lay's family free to enjoy his ill-gotten gains.

No way that was a natural death.
                          This was all pretty much covered at the time of Lay's death. His legal fees wiped out his estates entire net worth. IN other words the $43.5 million the governement was looking to collect on was a pipe dream. Can't get blood from a stone. The only thing of value was the life insurance (somethingon the order of 20 Million) policy which can't be touched anyway.

His fortune mostly evaporated when Enron went down the tubes (he couldn't dump fast enough IIRC)

At the end of the day not much difference one way or the other save a footnote that indicates Lay never had a criminal record.
                          "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                            If he was found innocent? Kuci, that wasn't happening.
                            That's not the point, Sloww. He still had a chance to be found innocent.

This is how the law works, it doesn't matter if SlowwHand from Texas, shotgun in hand, thinks that holligan did dem crimes.
                            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

A frog has a chance to leap to the moon, but I don't give it much hope.

In the meantime, thousands lost all to a thief.
                              His family are thieves, or they would acknowledge it and work a settlement.

Comment

Working...
                              X