Studying techniques

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studying techniques

What kind of studying techniques you have? Mine are horrible. Results are good but the method is .. insanity.

I usually just read upon the subject and no, I don't necessarily read the class material at all. I just look upon the subject, read what I find interesting from the web/books etc and kind of leave it at that. I check out the class objectives as in what I should know after I've taken this class and then kind of leave the conventional structure alone and wing it.

I usually don't even bother reading to exams etc. I see them quite pointless. I put my effort in projects, if there's something I need to do, something to show. If it's something I need to know, I look upon the subject and roam freely.

This isn't the best way at all. It's rebellious way of deciding myself what is interesting and what is not interesting. I find many classes to be crap with their content, because they are usually short introductions to the subject and then it takes like the most boring way of showing more what it's about. I usually take the introduction and them dump the rest.

If it's a class that is not important to me and it's not an interesting subject, I rarely bother wasting my time with it to begin with. If it's interesting, I'll eat it all and then some.

I usually have a whole different kind of answer to questions they ask in exams. But I've found out that I can score full points and 's with this style. People say to me when we compare what we said that 'ohh but that's not what the class material said'. Who cares what the class material said? It was a collection of thoughts and articles from someone who never made it in real world anyway, a professor with book that no one read. I'd rather read the classic book fo the subject and the classic article, enter few forums and check out their points of view and websites they recommend to further educate yourself. It's faster, to the point and no foolishness.

I never buy the books, I rarely even go to library and read them books these days. Why bother? Unless the book is universally praised in its field, its most likely waste of time unless someone recommends it.

I have a 'big day' tomorrow, I have to do a presentation of what I'm 'researching' now. No big deal, they'll most likely ask few question etc. People have been prepearing themselves for few weeks now.. I started to do it now. I'll do few powerpoint slides, I have about 1 hour left and I reckon it'll take me 30 minutes. Why? Because I chose a subject that interests me. Many people chose topics that they don't care about but they seem to be 'technical' and 'advanced' or what ever. Why would you pick AI if you don't know anything about it or never plan to study the field further? I don't get it. Yeah I'm winging this but then agian I read books about this field and subject as a hobby as well so it's not going to be big deal tomorrow.

So how do you study? My style is usually wing it, improvise it and if it's not for you, forget about it. If it's for oyu and interesting, go for it and focus on it. No wonder people are lost with all these millions of topics, because they can't choose one or two. They think they have to do them all or something. Idiots, if you ask me.

This is one of the reasons why I'm looking to spend a year in challenging academic environment. I just can't be bothered or stimulated by lecturers who have never achieved anything in any terms of success (private sector, public sector, academic world)... or when most folks aren't passionate about it either. It's flegmatic, it's waste of time. I'd rather work all nights and sleep the days, doing something we all believe in, passionately, do something great. Not go sleeping in boring classes held by people who never did anything themselves. I just don't think they are interesting people, they don't know the subject well enough and they definitely aren't passionate about it.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

I'm going to need more details before I could offer an opinion.

As long as your grades are acceptable, keep on truckin'.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

My grades are just fine. The grades don't really matter at this point, you just have to pass. The point where it matters is when you do your thesis. Now, if that's just barely passed... not good. If that's excellent, it doesn't matter what grades you got earlier.

However, my grades aren't bad. It's between the top and average usually. But the top graders are usually tools. As in, it's the best they've got.
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

A thesis, from my experience, is putting some of the points of the class and broadening it's scope. Putting it into application.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

A thesis in my field is a research. So, I'm doing one on a topic I find interesting. So that plus everything supporting it is vital, and everything else is garbage and waste of time
          In da butt.

Comment

That's pretty much what I was saying. I think your approach is fine.

Comment

Yeah I think it's fine too I mean my approach is to do what I feel passionate about, you know like a kid in the candy store.. why I got in this field in the first place. My first love and do that. I'd do this even if no one paid me to do it. I find it waste of time to follow some structure someone else set as a broad set of 'education' and then you're it. I mean, a good base is always great, but after that, follow your own interests.. study that as much as you can, not what people who have no real life credentials tell you to study. This is so much the truth when they always come up with weird book suggestions like no one should ever care. Most likely they co-wrote it or it's their buddy who wrote it or some crap like that. You know what's that all about?

I find it way mor einteresting to read the 'bible' or the book that got everyone excited about it in the first place.. start from that, then you realize what people realized who got interested in it.. that's the best place to start IMO. Work your way to what the hot topic todat is, get involved, hey it's the internet, join some forums and become active. Before you know it, you're in it.

It beats 100-0 the way some recommend, as in study the class material, which is often crap material and of no importance.
              In da butt.

Comment

If all a person gets out of a class is what's in the class, you don't get it.
                A class either stimulates you to go REALLY learn, or you just fake it and don't get anything, and what's the point of that? Points towards graduation in something you're not interested in? You don't need that.

Comment

Right. I also think it's a huge waste of money when so many young people think it just as a paper, degree, that will get you a job. What's the point in it? I guess it's OK to some degree, however, I think we are giving too much of a set structure to people. It's higher education, so why not demand more?

Then people need to know everything before exams too.. like 'how many questions, what type of answers..'¨etc. What does it matter? It doesn't, really. It doesn't even matter if you want to prep yourself the easy way, it still doesn't matter.
                  In da butt.

Comment

Pekka, have you read the book "Tutkiva oppiminen" that should be available at most good Finnish libraries? Interesting stuff. Though it hasn't really helped me achieve much better results yet.

Comment

Study habits.

Hard science courses. Do examples and practice.
                      Lots of work.

Softer courses. Sit in class and write down the main points covered. Every time one is mentioned put a star next to it. Before test, spend a few minutes and review items with most stars.

Easy and effective.
                      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

A very important thing in my field (Political Science) (edit: obviously) is to be able to use all kinds of cues in order to guess what the test questions are going to be about. This is because the official course requirements might contain several books that are many hundred pages long while there in the worst case aren't going to be any questions about them.
                        Last edited by Meticulous Man; October 16, 2006, 10:27.

Comment

I was a Polysci major and yes, that's why I used the star method. I did graduate with honors so it must have worked.
                          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

In undergrad for nonPhysics classes I just went to class. For physics/maths classes I went to class and did 70-80% of the homework.

In graduate school, for classes I am interested in I do 0-90% of the homework and go to most classes. For classes I am not interested in I don't go to and drop.

One time I forgot to drop the course though

JM
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN
                            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Working...
                            X