• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muslim pharmacist denies "morning after" pill from woman

Mother is denied Pill by Muslim pharmacist

By Paul Stokes
    (Filed: 14/10/2006)

A Muslim chemist repeatedly refused a mother the "morning after" pill because of his religious beliefs.

Jo-Ann Thomas, a school crossing patrolwoman with two children, was told that even though the item was in stock she should go to her doctor for her supplies.

When she was denied the pill at a Lloyds Pharmacy near her home in Thurcroft, Rotherham, she asked why and says she was told the pharmacist was a "deeply religious Muslim".

She said: "I am a 37-year-old woman, not a daft girl who doesn't know what she's doing, and the chemist has no right to tell me whether I can or can't take the pill.

"It's my choice, not his. It's his religion, not mine. He's a dispensing chemist and his job is to dispense drugs."

A spokesman for Lloyds, which runs 1,300 UK pharmacies, apologised to Mrs Thomas for her inconvenience.

But he referred to a "conscience clause" in the Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain's ethics code, saying: "It states that if supplying the morning-after pill is contrary to a pharmacist's personal, religious or moral beliefs they are entirely within their rights not to supply it."

from bbc:
    She said: "If I had not been able to get it and I had got pregnant, would an abortion have suited him better?

"Everybody has their own beliefs and their own opinions and that is fine, but they are yours, you can't force them down someone's throat, it is not fair."

Well, after all the same was done some time ago by a christian pharmacist too.
    Maybe it´s time to install laws which ensure that religious beliefs of pharmacists don´t interfere with the job they´re doing.
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

that's odd

i haven't heard of such a case in israel yet, and we have plenty of christian and muslim arabs in the pharmacy bussines.

Comment

California got this one right. In California legally all pharmacists must distribute all legal medication and anyone who refuses to do so, even once, loses their licence. That means they have to get a new job because they're legally bared from being a pharmacist.

That is the way it should be. If the perscription is valid and the drug legal then the phramacist is not a doctor and he must fill it. If he dosn't want to, for what ever reason, then he has failed one of the primary responsibilities of being a pharmacist and so he needs to find a new line of work.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Yep, in germany we also hadn´t such a case yet.

As for the christian pharmacist, AFAIK it was in USA.
          Maybe (and I hope so) something like this conscience clause mentioned in the article only exists in UK and some states within the USA
          whereas in other countries such a behavior could get you fired.
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

They should be fired.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
              California got this one right. In California legally all pharmacists must distribute all legal medication and anyone who refuses to do so, even once, loses their licence. That means they have to get a new job because they're legally bared from being a pharmacist.

That is the way it should be. If the perscription is valid and the drug legal then the phramacist is not a doctor and he must fill it. If he dosn't want to, for what ever reason, then he has failed one of the primary responsibilities of being a pharmacist and so he needs to find a new line of work.
              That´s like it should be.
              I assume the law in california is different from the law in other states within the USA, isn´t it (as the case with the christian pharmacist AFAIR took place somewhere in the USA) ?

Comment

is there a clause where he may deny if the medications have interactions with other ones? or if the person is getting too many rx's in a certain time period?
                "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

There is something about the drug needing to be safe and legal so if it isn't safe then of course the pharmacist needs to speak up.

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST

That´s like it should be.
                    I assume the law in california is different from the law in other states within the USA, isn´t it (as the case with the christian pharmacist AFAIR took place somewhere in the USA) ?
                    Are already found the answer,
                    only a few US states have such conscience laws,
                    alowing pharmacists to refuse to dispense them.

As the article describes, the christian pharmacist also got "punished" for his behavior.
                    He had to pay 20.000 $ and now has to tell every potential employer in advance, which drugs he will refuse to dispense:

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST
                      Well, after all the same was done some time ago by a christian pharmacist too.
                      Maybe it´s time to install laws which ensure that religious beliefs of pharmacists don´t interfere with the job they´re doing.
                      SHHHH!

You don't want to cast doubt on Siro's latest anti-Muslim thread now do you?

I'm guessing there's Jewish sects that are anti-abortion too. Religion is stupid, big deal!
                      Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

I wouldn't call this thread anti-muslim. More like anti-idiot.

If your religion won't let you do your job then you need to find a new job but if you stay at the job you must do all that the job requires. End of story.

Comment

We all know Siro has an anti-Muslim agenda. It's no accident this thread involves a Muslim doing something wrong (though ironically I bet a great many right wing christians on this forum would actually applaud her for her stance... )
                          Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

What that muslim did was perfect
                            I need a foot massage

Comment

That is the way it should be. If the perscription is valid and the drug legal then the phramacist is not a doctor and he must fill it.
                              No, that's not the way it should be. Not doing one's job should not be against the law - it's the concern of the employers, employees, and customers, and not of the government.
                              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Working...
                              X