• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Longest playoff streak comes to an end

Esks miss playoffs; first time in 35 years

Canadian Press

10/14/2006 6:06:50 PM

EDMONTON (CP) - The longest run of consecutive playoff appearances in North American professional sports came to an end when the Toronto Argonauts defeated the Edmonton Eskimos 28-25 and knocked the reigning Grey Cup champions out of playoff contention Saturday.

Edmonton had made it to the CFL playoffs 34 years in a row.

Trailing 21-10 late in the game, the Eskimos made a furious attempt to keep their post-season streak alive as Ricky Ray found Jason Tucker in the end zone from 12 yards for a touchdown. Ray hit Tucker again for the two-point convert to make it 21-18 with less than four minutes left.

They kept fighting for more and were almost within field goal range when Ray was picked off for the second time of the day by Byron Parker, who ran the ball 75 yards with little more than a minute remaining to put the Argos up 28-18.

Ray engineered one more drive and ran the ball in from seven yards as time expired.

Toronto, 10-6, moved into first place in the East Division two points ahead of Montreal.

The Eskimos, 5-11, again let scoring chances slip through their fingers.

For as long as I've been following sports, playoffs and Grey Cups for the Eskies have been a birthright. As a kid I started to get interested in football right around the time they last missed the playoffs. I can't recall off the top which came first, the Eskies or the Steelers as 'my team' for football.

I think I'll prefer to take a glass is half full view. It was a heck of a run, and I have a lot of great Grey Cup memories, especially the last one. Wow.

to all the greats who played over those 34 years.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I should 100-nil you, as I figured it would be highly likely that you make an appearance with just such a thought, Sava.

Last edited by notyoueither; October 14, 2006, 19:18.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Who cares? Well,

1) All three of us who are left in the The 2006 CFC Canadian Football League Pool:

The 2006 CFC Canadian Football League Pool How it works: Each week the games will be posted and you make your predictions on who will win each game. Of course, there are only 4 games at most per week, so it isn't a time consuming task to make your picks. At the end of the season whoever...

I guess I should have told you about this NYE. Well, next year.

2) Me in particular because it guarentees my team, Winnipeg, a playoff berth for the first time in 3 years.

Comment

Longest playoff streak comes to an end

Well I'm glad that's out of the way. Time to start a new and even longer streak, then.

Sports..

Comment

CFL is the stupidest ****ing league I've ever seen, after the XFL.

Washed up NFL players playing in Canada in the snow.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Warren Moon was far from washed up.
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                Asher, apparently
                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor

Asher, apparently
                  I wonder if Asher says "aboot".

Do you think he's that Canadian?

joncha says "aboot"... I'm sure of it.
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                    That's some flat waves. I bet those surfers care that there are no waves.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                      CFL is the stupidest ****ing league I've ever seen, after the XFL.

Washed up NFL players playing in Canada in the snow.
                      I have to admit that in 2001 I had a conversation with a friend of mine who kept saying the eXtreme Football League was the best ever because it was more violent and had fewer penalities. My response was that it was just lame marketing and they'd die after one season. I was wrong, it took two seasons before they croaked.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Maybe it deserves it's own thread, but this one seems appropriate.

Bye, Jackie.

Former Edmonton Eskimos great Jackie Parker died Tuesday morning in hospital following a bout with throat cancer. He was 74.

"The city has lost a great citizen. The Eskimo family mourns the loss of Jack and our thoughts are with Jack's immediate family," Eskimos chief executive officer Hugh Campbell said in a statement.

Jackie Parker of the Edmonton Eskimos poses with the CFL's most outstanding player trophy at a Vancouver ceremony in November 1960. Parker has died at 74.
                        (Canadian Press) Nicknamed Ole Spaghetti Legs, Parker was one of the true icons of the Canadian Football League during his playing and coaching career.

"He wasn't very imposing when we first met — really skinny legs. But he could really run and do everything else," said Norman Kwong, Alberta's lieutenant-governor and a former star running back with the Eskimos. "He made an impression on us the very first time he took the field. It was a big surprise when we saw him perform."

Parker was a standout as a quarterback, halfback and defensive back for the Eskimos from 1954 to 1962, the Toronto Argonauts from 1963 to 1965 and the B.C. Lions from 1966 to 1968.

He was elected to the CFL Hall of Fame in 1971 and Canada's Sports Hall of Fame in 1987.

CFL commissioner Tom Wright said Parker ranked among the best of the CFL's greats.

"He passed and ran with style, and in many ways was the prototypical versatile quarterback who is the hallmark of our league," said Wright.

The Tennessee native played on three Grey Cup championship teams with Edmonton (1954, 1955, 1956), was named the CFL's top player three times (1957, 1958, 1960) and was a CFL all-star for eight straight years (1954-1961).

Parker passed for 16,476 yards, scored 88 touchdowns and kicked 40 field goals.

The play he was most remembered for was his dramatic 84-yard fumble return, a touchdown run, in the 1954 Grey Cup in Toronto. The Eskimos edged the Montreal Alouettes 26-25.

Parker moved into coaching as an assistant with the B.C. Lions in 1968 and, a year later, became head coach. He was the Lions' general manager from 1971-75.

After a stint away from the game, Parker was named head coach of the Eskimos in 1983. He quit the post two games into the 1987 season.

With files from the Canadian Press
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Triggs
                          Who cares? Well,

1) All three of us who are left in the The 2006 CFC Canadian Football League Pool:

The 2006 CFC Canadian Football League Pool How it works: Each week the games will be posted and you make your predictions on who will win each game. Of course, there are only 4 games at most per week, so it isn't a time consuming task to make your picks. At the end of the season whoever...

I guess I should have told you about this NYE. Well, next year.

2) Me in particular because it guarentees my team, Winnipeg, a playoff berth for the first time in 3 years.
                          Why am I just hearing about this pool now? Is it because I don't post at CFC?

You should do the pool in FSN it would be easier that way. I'd be in either way!
                          Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

Working...
                          X