No announcement yet.

2 silly questions about the english language

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or for emphasis. Thee movie of the year vs thuh movie.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Edit: Damn, I messed up the reference, and you DanS'd your post DanS.
      The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
        Or for emphasis. Thee movie of the year vs thuh movie.
        /me nods head in agreement.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
          There are lots of interesting quirks not often noticed by native English-speakers. Like the word "the" is pronounced either thee or thuh. Thee before words beginning with a vowel sound. Thuh for words beginning with a consonant sound.
          Neat.
          Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

whatsup with "pressurize" Here in the last great hope of mankind, you can pressurize a chamber with gas. Or you can pressure a person or institution to do something. I often see writers or speakers from non-English speaking countries, and, Im not sure, maybe sometimes Brits, saying things like "Japan is going to pressurize North Korea not to test another bomb" which I always find incredibly grating. It sounds illiterate to me, but it seems that it must be standard usage somewhere.
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

You often see spanish tennis player using "pression", when they should say, I was under a lot of pressure, because it sounds bad to them, even if pression doesnt exist in english (I think)
              I need a foot massage

Comment

Also, native spanish speakers often say especial instead of special. Especial doesn't sound bad in English, however.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Thats called vowel harmony I think

For spanish speakers, words which begin with s + another consonant, sound difficult, so they add an e before, to put the 2 consonants in 2 different syllables

and end up pronouncing for example es-pecial, es-mashing etc

In french it also happens
                  they add an e before, but the french drop the s

an example would be the latin word studium

which became estudio in spanish

and etude in french
                  I need a foot massage

Comment

native spanish speakers add e in front of any word begining with the word s including names that begin with s.
                    When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
                    "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
                    Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

"An" is also used sometimes in front of words starting with an H that is just barely silent in common parlance. "An historical account of things", for example.

Comment

Originally posted by Brachy-Pride
                        Ive been told to not pronounce the t in often

Not true (in my opinion), I think I always pronounce it but often very much worn down (like of'n, hard to describe).
                        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I am riding a bike.

I am on an airplane.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

History is a very interesting one...an history sounds completely wrong to me...should be a with a long a...
                            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

However an historical fact doesn't sound incorrect...hmmm...
                              Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Seems to be true, probably due to the nature of where the stress is in the word...oooh...
                                Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Working...
                                X