No announcement yet.

War elephants.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hannibal's elephants were actually rather smaller than the African elephants you see in zoos - about 1/2 to 2/3 the size so they were probably less intimidating than might be imagined (I still would not want to face one charging at me though ).

As for elephants as transport animals, the British Indian Army used them for this well into the 20th Century. They could tow cannon that would otherwise require a team of horses as well as carry supplies. In rough terrain elephants can go places horses can't and where men on foot would struggle. Even today elephants can cross terrain that would defeat a 4x4 vehicle.

Wild elephants spend most of their time eating. Working elephants in India are usually fed a concentrated vegetable mash prepared by their handlers which means more work time and less foraging time for the animals.
    Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

While looking for evidence as to whether elephants actually carried cannon in battle during the medieval era (a discussion on TW.org), I ran across a number of online historical works that suggested that elephants were extremely effective in war. Camels were also effective as an anti cav force (there was a quote by some Pharoah or other to 12 camels turning the tide of battle).

According to the Roman historians, pigs were used to counter elephants. It was believed, though, that it was the pigs squealing that unsettled the elephants, setting the pigs aflame merely caused more squealing.
      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
      If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
      Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Horses were afraid of elephants because they did not recognise the smell. Also, they use to equip the tusks with sharp blades to cut up troops. They also used the elephants as a torture tool.
        I made a little research and found that they attacked the elephants trunk. That was the trick it seems, then they went amok and sometimes trampled their own army.

Spec.
        -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

They also covered them with armour (including the trunk), mounted various catapults, ballistae, and (possibly) small cannon on their backs, and employed greek fire (its unclear whether this was in conjunction with the catapults etc or simply thrown). The roman accounts mention elephants being used to knock down wooden palisades around settlements.
          We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
          If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
          Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

If you ever get the chance to visit the Royal Armouries Museum in Leeds, UK, they have they only genuine original suit of elephant armour in the world. The picture doesn't do it justice as the display is pretty impressive.
            Attached Files
            Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Here is a better pic.

Spec.
              -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
                I usually go for Crusaders -- nothing funnier than surprising Kassiopeia's rapidly expanding, but badly defended (on an island, so makes sense early on) monarchy with few phalanxes by unloading four veteran crusaders from 2 tririmes right next to their 2nd most major city
                Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Originally posted by Spec
                  Here is a better pic.

Nope, very bad contrast and brightness.
                  (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                  (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                  (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Working...
                  X