• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google buys YouTube for $1.65B USD

Google Buys Video-Sharing Site YouTube
    By Jesus Sanchez, Times Staff Writer
    1:55 PM PDT, October 9, 2006

Google Inc. today agreed to purchase YouTube Inc. for $1.65 billion in stock in a deal that will combine the Internet's largest search engine and its most popular site to watch video.

The transaction, which had been widely expected, comes after YouTube's owners had fielded proposals from such media giants as Viacom Inc. and News Corp. Those suitors and others wanted to capitalize on the company's fast growing website, where visitors view an estimated 100 million videos a day

"By joining forces with Google, we can benefit from its global reach and technology leadership to deliver a more comprehensive entertainment experience for our users and to create new opportunities for our partners," said YouTube Chief Executive Officer and co-founder Chad Hurley in a statement.

Mountain View-based Google said that YouTube would continue to operate as a separate company and retain all employees. The acquisition is scheduled to be completed by year's end.

"The YouTube team has built an exciting and powerful media platform that complements Google's mission to organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful," said Eric Schmidt, chief executive officer of Google, in a statement.

In addition to attracting hoards of viewers, YouTube has also drawn threats of lawsuits from music labels and TV studios for not adequately blocking copyrighted works. Meanwhile, the 60-person start-up is struggling to make enough money to offset its bandwidth costs.

The deal marks the first time Google, which prefers to fill in its product line with small acquisitions, has bought a technology company that makes a competing — and more successful — product.

It also would be a major acknowledgment by Google that its own video service, launched in January, failed to keep pace with the San Mateo, Calif.-based upstart, founded by Hurley and Steve Chen.

YouTube received 46% of all visits to online video websites in September, compared with 11% for Google, according to Hitwise, a market research firm.

Observers said Google could give YouTube the advertising connections, technology team and legitimacy it needed to dominate the video-sharing business in much the same way that social-networking site MySpace blossomed into an Internet heavyweight since it joined News Corp. last year.

YouTube is experimenting with ways to make money, including charging advertisers to feature videos on its home page, and to create branded channels for the content.

Also, Warner Music Group Inc. agreed to license its entire catalog of music and videos to YouTube in exchange for a cut of any revenue from advertising or sponsorships sold around its music.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

I just wonder how they're going to handle Google Video as a competitor to YouTube.

Comment

I agree with Mr. Cuban-this is a walking lawsuit.

Comment

Wow. One day you make a startup, and couple of years later you are $1.6 billion richer.

*goes back to learning how to make web sites*

Comment

BTW., on one of the YouTube founders:

"He received a B.A in Fine Art at Indiana University of Pennsylvania."

What is Fine Art? And who says art degrees don't pay off?

Comment

I´d really like to be one of the founders of YouTube
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

His degree is of no relevance to what he did -- it's more of a statement of how useless such degrees are.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

impressive.

google has a lot of clout, I think they will find a way to avoid lawsuits.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                  His degree is of no relevance to what he did -- it's more of a statement of how useless such degrees are.
                  but how smart and visionary people can be who get them?
                  "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                  'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Every time I hear something like this, I wonder what I should invent that Google would buy for such a sum. Well, I'd even settle for a couple million bucks .
                    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I'd settle for a few cheap whores.

Dis gets to work creating some new internet fad...

Comment

Smart and visionary people should be smart and visionary without taking art history courses...

Comment

how about despite taking art history courses? or perhaps becuase of taking art history courses?
                          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                            Smart and visionary people should be smart and visionary without taking art history courses...
                            I've never taken those classes, but perhaps they did expose him to some stimuli or experiences that could have broadened his imagination. But I've always been on the belief that for artistic professions, real world experiences are far more important than classroom experiences. It's better to travel around the world, than sit in a classroom.

Comment

The only way this makes sense to me is as an infrastructure and advertising play. Google must have a lot of servers and bandwidth lying around. As I understand, YouTube was having trouble streaming problem-free video given its steep growth curve.
                              Last edited by DanS; October 9, 2006, 20:35.
                              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Working...
                              X