Heinz Sielmann died at 89

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heinz Sielmann died at 89

The german biologist and wildlife filmmaker Heinz Sielmann died 2 days ago peacefully among his family in his house in munich.
    He was especially known in germany for television series like "Expeditionen ins Tierreich" (Wilderness Expeditions) but also throughout the world for award winning films like "Masters of the Congo Jungle", "Vanishing Wilderness", "Galapagos - Dream Island in the Pacific" and "The Mystery of Animal Behavior".

Don´t know how well you know him or his films but in germany his death means a real loss for people interested in biology and the nature
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Is Thor Heyerdahl still alive? Jacques Cousteu?

Comment

Frogs cry.
      "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
      I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
      Middle East!

Comment

Did he make films during the Nazi era? He certainly was old enough.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Yes, according to wikipedia he filmed on Kreta during the war, completing a nature film of a deceased colleague.
          He also studied Biology during this time.
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

So if he's so great why did everybody care more about Steve Irwin?
            Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
            Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

Originally posted by bipolarbear
              So if he's so great why did everybody care more about Steve Irwin?
              Who is Steve Irwin?
              Ah, you mean the crocodile guy.

They´re two separate classes of nature filmers IMHO.
              The one (Steve Irwin) was a good entertainer whereas the other (Sielmann) did more thorough documentations with a higher scientific value.

There´s also the fact that Sielmann didn´t do any big documentary films in his last years, but only some documentary series for the german TV, whereas Irvin did his shows and films till the end (no wonder, after all he was much younger than Sielmann when he died).

Therefore people just forgot about Sielmann
              Last edited by Proteus_MST; October 9, 2006, 02:16.

Comment

While not really being familiar with Seilmann, I was, in my own twisted way, trying to point just that out. Irwin is Sielmann as Noory is to Bell.

Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
                Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

Working...
                X