Size of American Guv'ment soars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Size of American Guv'ment soars

Stolen from the Early Bird, no link because I'm a lazy ****er.

Washington Post
    October 6, 2006
    Pg. 21

Big Government Gets Bigger

Study Counts More Employees, Cites Increase in Contractors

By Christopher Lee, Washington Post Staff Writer

The federal government keeps getting bigger.

The Republican Party's oft-stated affinity for smaller government has not applied during the Bush administration. According to a recent study, not only is the number of federal civil servants on the rise, but so are the numbers of employees working for government-funded contractors and for organizations that receive government grants.

Roll all of those together -- and mix in the numbers of postal workers and military personnel on the federal payroll -- and the "true size" of the federal government stands at 14.6 million employees, said Paul C. Light, the study's author and a government professor at New York University.

That compares with 12.1 million employees in 2002, said Light, who has tracked the growth of government for years and has data for as far back as 1990. The latest increase is almost entirely due to contractors, whose ranks swelled by 2.5 million since 2002, Light wrote in his 10-page research brief.

"This time, almost all of the growth can be attributed from the war on terrorism, which boosted Defense spending for both goods and services systems and covered the continued cost of the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq," he wrote.

"The rest of the hidden workforce held steady at roughly 2.9 million grantees, while civil service employment inched up and postal employment fell."

Light calls the 10.5 million federal contractors and grantees the government's "hidden workforce" because politicians tend not to mention them when discussing the size of the federal bureaucracy. Yet such workers absorbed nearly $400 billion in federal contracting funds and $100 billion in federal grants in 2005. They often performed vital work such as researching new vaccines, running federal computer systems and making body armor, weapons and meals for the military.

The number of civil servants is increasing, too, up 54,000 since 2002 to 1.9 million workers. That is still fewer than the 2.2 million civil servants on the federal payroll in 1990, at the end of the Cold War.

Light acknowledges that his numbers of contractors and grantee employees are estimates from federal procurement and grant data, and are harder to nail down than the number of civil servants. But the trend is clear, he said.

Politicians who focus on the size of the civil service and fail to acknowledge the hidden workforce "encourage the public into believing that it truly can get more for less," Light said. And the heavy reliance on such workers, while sometimes necessary, makes it more difficult to figure out who is accountable when things go wrong, he said.

"The federal government often uses contractors and grantees to provide talent it cannot recruit, specialized services it cannot produce, competition it cannot generate among its own organizations, and equipment that it cannot and should not build itself," Light wrote.

"[I]t hardly matters who produces the goods and services as long as the federal government is honest with the public about the true cost of delivering on the promises it makes."
    Light calls the 10.5 million federal contractors and grantees the government's "hidden workforce" because politicians tend not to mention them when discussing the size of the federal bureaucracy. Yet such workers absorbed nearly $400 billion in federal contracting funds and $100 billion in federal grants in 2005
    *Lonestar whistles innocently*
    Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

This administration
    B♭3

Comment

Well, what do you expect? Somebody has to keep an eye on the general population in order to protect it from the terrorists within.

Gatekeeper
      "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Republicans have always loved big government. They could never get enough big government. The government always grows under Republicans. They just like to campaign with claims that they're for small government and the American people are to stupid and lazy to bother watching what they do instead of what they say 3 months before the election.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Only bad republicans.

I leave my meaning to you to discuss
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

no link because I'm a lazy ****er.

Nah, you obviously made it all up. I mean Christoper Lee - he was an actor in the Hammer flicks, not some WP journo.

Comment

"The government had to expand to meet the needs of an expanding government"

Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Does anyone have any information on the "spend as you go" policy that Nancy Palossi (sp?) talked about in her speech today?

The Republicans are completely lost on the issues. They say one thing and then do another. This has been demonstrated on every issue from terrorism to being gay.

Comment

Spend as you go

is not new. It is essentially the idea that any new spending has to be coupled with cuts or increased taxation.

Check out the Graham-Rudman deficit reduction act.
                  “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

I knew it wasn't new, I just didn't assume that I knew what it meant. I guess that answers my question though.

Comment

Working...
                    X