DC Mongolian Community pushes for Genghis Kahn statue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC Mongolian Community pushes for Genghis Kahn statue

Read about it in the Post Commuter edition this morning, but it's on a local new site...

KKKKHHHAANN!!!!

Washington (AP) - He's one of the most famous names of the last millennium, and he's the father of his country, which turns 800 years old this year.

That's why the D.C. region's growing Mongolian community - with a large concentration in Arlington County - would like to see a statue erected of Genghis Khan, the George Washington of Mongolia.

The Mongolian embassy, in D.C.'s Georgetown neighborhood, has inquired with the State Department and had preliminary discussions with a contractor who works with embassies.

Supporters of the statue say the popular image in the West of the Khan as a ruthless barbarian invader gives Americans a misconception of a leader who some historians say was ahead of his time and progressive in many ways.

Genghis Khan established an empire based on religious tolerance in an age where the Crusades and religious wars were commonplace, his advocates say. He was an ardent free trader, and established principles of diplomatic immunity.

A statue would be a good way of highlighting some of those overlooked traits, said G. Ganbold, the embassy's consul-general.

"We are eager to make the people of both cultures get to know one another," Ganbold said. "Genghis Khan is the one person who best represents what Mongolia stands for."

Getting it built may be difficult, though. Statues require approval from either the National Park Service, if on federal land, or the District of Columbia, if on city land.

The particular spot eyed by the Mongolians, near their embassy, is on city land. Michael Johnson, a spokesman for the city's Office of Planning, declined comment on whether Genghis Khan would be an appropriate historical figure to honor with a statue, saying he didn't want to prejudge an issue before a formal application is made.

But he said the city gives strong preference to local figures rather than foreign ones.

Still, many statues in the city honor foreign heroes. The world famous excommunicate, Martin Luther, is honored at Thomas Circle, and one of the tallest statues in the city honors South America's Great Liberator, Simon Bolivar.

Other statues include Joan of Arc; Jose Artigas, the father of Uruguayan independence; Ukrainian poet Taras Shevchenko, and French artist Louis Daguerre.

In academic circles, Western historians have begun taking a revisionist view of Genghis Khan. A 2004 book by anthropology professor Jack Weatherford, "Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World," spent several weeks on the best-seller list and offered a more sympathetic portrayal.

Still, the popular view of Genghis Khan as warmonger is hard to dispel. And it is not baseless. While cities that acquiesced to Mongol rule received relatively enlightened treatment, the Mongols did indeed engage in wholesale slaughter of those who refused to submit to their rule. They were particularly quick to kill aristocrats from resisting cities - an uncommon practice at the time.

What's more, they encouraged the few who were allowed to survive to go out and spread the word to other cities about the consequences of resistance, which helped enshrine their reputation as ruthless, bloodthirsty conquerors.

"I think we're suffering from the mindset of the vanquished," said William Fitzhugh, an anthropologist and director of the Arctic Studies Center at the Smithsonian's Museum of natural History. "But people are now more willing to take a look at the other side."

The Smithsonian, in conjunction with the Mongolian Embassy, is sponsoring a Mongolian Family Festival this weekend that will include lectures and demonstrations of Mongolian wrestling and throat singing and a celebration of the Mongolian state's 800th anniversary.

Part of the reason Americans know so little about Mongolia, Fitzhugh said, is the nation's isolation during its Communist era. In the last decade, though, the D.C. area and Arlington County, in particular, have seen rapid growth in the Mongolian population. With an estimated Mongolian population of 2,000 to 3,000, the D.C. area now rivals a more established community in Denver as the largest Mongolian enclave in the United States.

The Mongolian community's ability to emigrate and rapidly adapt to American life is not surprising, since Mongolians have long been a nomadic people.

"Mongolians have always proven adept at adjusting to new situations," said S. Dawadash, the embassy's second secretary.

I suppose in that he was an equal-oppurtunity crazy, then yes, his empire was one of Religious tolerance.
    Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

They're welcome to put a Genghis Kahn statue somewhere in Arlington County. Only barbarians live there anyway.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

"Genghis Khan is the one person who best represents what Mongolia stands for."
      "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
      I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
      Middle East!

Comment

Khan

I would not expect someone who comes from the area he ravished to understand this, as certainly he did a lot of destroying. But, he did a lot of good as well - and the destroying was the same as many others of the time would have done, had they been as successful.

He was one of the first to believe in religious tolerance - he was a shamanist, but he believed that all should be free to practice whatever religion they wanted to. He was personally responsible for enabling many of the major technological developments of that era, as he created easy, free trade between the east (China, etc.) and the west, allowing their ideas to flow freely, as well as goods.

He also preferred to kill the aristocracy of a city, because they tended to be the problem in the long run. The people he generally left alone, unless a city was particularly annoying to him. Remember that any killing he did was solely to simplify the process towards peace. He never desired war, but only made it because everyone else around him refused to let him go.

There are a lot of worse people you could make a statue of.

Oh, and if you haven't read the book mentioned in the OP, do so. It is a very interesting book.

Then go play the Warlords scenario
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Khan was a total barbarian mass murder. He should be held in the same disregard as Hitler.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

“The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy, to drive him before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather into your bosom his wives and daughters.”

-Genghis Kahn

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

IIRC Khan once sent a pair of ambassadors to Baghdad, requesting its surrender. The rulers answered Khan by beheading the ambassadors. Khan's army exterminated the entire city, but the sultan had already escaped. Khan ordered his army to find the missing sultsn, prompting his army to overrun mesopotamia, Syria, Palestine, Arabia and Egypt. Failing in the quest the army turned north to Anatolia then invaded Russia. They never found the Sultan, but they devastated the entire middle east and eastern europe, all to find one man. Millions died. It is said that in his wake one-third of the population of China, the Middle East and Eastern Europe had perished. What a swell guy.

Perhaps they could put his statue in Arlington Cemetary. Don't they have shrines to MacArthur, Patton and some other famous generals there? Think of the message it would send to the world, particularily to the Middle East.
              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                “The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy, to drive him before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather into your bosom his wives and daughters.”

-Genghis Kahn

JM
                OK, we'll engrave that on the entry to Arlington Cemetary. World beware. This is not your grandaddy's America.
                "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Genghis Khan
                  The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness: only power, pure power.

Join Eventis, the land of spam and unspeakable horrors!

Comment

Goddamn Mongorians! Always breaking down my ****ty wall!
                    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                      They're welcome to put a Genghis Kahn statue somewhere in Arlington County. Only barbarians live there anyway.

We can put it where the projects that were knocked down for the new Bridge used to be.
                      Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs

South Park

Genocidaires
                        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs

But yea, the wave of Mongolian apoligists prompted by that damn book is amazing. Everyone who has read that book seems to think Genghis Khan was some great humanitarian.

Sure he may have supported religious tolerance, he killed you regardless of your religion. What a great guy...
                          Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

He was a mass murdered

no statue for him
                            I need a foot massage

Comment

Hitler did great things too, but he was still an *******.

Khan was an ******* too. Are we going to wait 800 years and raise a statue for Hitler for the things he contributed to science? And are we going to post comments on forums with the name Hitler and a thumbsup icon next to it? I hope not.
                              be free

Comment

Working...
                              X