Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expectation values and the common man

Dream of big cheque nets 85-year-old double lotto win

An 85-year-old Toronto woman says a dream about a giant cheque prompted her to buy a second winning lottery ticket for the same draw.

Mary Wollens had two of the three winning tickets for the weekend Lotto 6-49 draw, giving her two-thirds of the $24 million jackpot — $16 million.

The other winner was 64-year-old Ramon Sanz, a retired telephone operator from Abbotsford, B.C., who went home with a cheque for $8.2 million.

Wollens told lottery officials she saw a lotto ticket and a large cheque in a dream a couple of days before the Sept. 30 draw and went out to buy a second ticket, using the same combination of numbers she had received on an earlier quick pick ticket.

She credits the dream with making her buy the second ticket. If she hadn't bought it, Wollens would have split the win equally with Sanz, taking home $12 million.

Wollens told the Toronto Star she plans to take a trip to Las Vegas for some gambling and will also move to a new home.

The former house cleaner has one son and one grandchild. Her daughter died 17 years ago and her husband died seven months after that.
    With files from the Canadian Press
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

did she get the lump sum? or payment over time?

Comment

I think it is often payment over time, but you can get it transfered to a lump sum at the cost of 10% or something.

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

She should give most of it to charity.

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Absolutely amazing luck.
          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
            I think it is often payment over time, but you can get it transfered to a lump sum at the cost of 10% or something.

JM
            Canadian lottery winnings are given as lump sums, and are exempt from taxation
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

everybody understands how stupid this was, right?
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

My dream last night was about me having sex with a gorgeous woman. I wander what this means and what should I to for this to become a reality
                Last edited by Sir Og; October 4, 2006, 14:01.
                Quendelie axan!

Comment

Do what the woman did: Buy one.
                  Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                  Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Indeed... this is just going to encourage more people to be stupid put more money meaninglessly into the lottery system

KH means that two chances at $12 million should be worth far, far more than a single chance at $16 million. Not to mention the fact that the odds are against having even one splitter. Unless you need $14 million for something, anyway, which most people who don't have $1 million can manage fine with $12

No taxes on lotto winnings, though? Wow ... you folks are insane over there. I definitely feel they should be taxed...
                    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Yes, it's amazing how stupid this was and even more amazing that it turned out well for her.
                      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                        No taxes on lotto winnings, though? Wow ... you folks are insane over there. I definitely feel they should be taxed...
                        The government makes its money once on the lotto. It doesn't get to make it twice.
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

The IRS finds your lack of faith disturbing...

Incredible dumb luck, btw. Wow.

-Arrian
                          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

The government makes its money once on the lotto. It doesn't get to make it twice.
                            Well, it's the same money one way or the other, presumably. Just a matter of who pays it. Let's say you want to make about a 50% profit on ticket sales.

Taxed:

$100m in ticket sales
                            $80m in prizes, consisting of a top $40m prize, ten $1m prizes (5/6 balls), $5m additional in $100k prizes, and $25m in small prizes.
                            Net: $20m
                            Tax: $20m on the top prize, $5m on the second prizes, $1.5m on the third prizes, and $2m on the small prizes (assuming many of those people pay little taxes).
                            Net tax: 28.5m
                            ---
                            Net: 48.5m on $100m ticket sales, or about 50% profit.

Not taxed:
                            $100m in ticket sales
                            $50 m in prizes, consisting of a top $25m prize, ten $750k prizes, $2.5m in additional $75k prizes, and $15m in small prizes.
                            Net: $50m.
                            -----

Both systems give you a net of about 50% (and my tax estimates are not necessarily accurate, I don't know the tax brackets for winnings, but the prize $ can be adjusted for that).

But one system allows you to advertise a top prize of $40m, while the other system allows you to advertise a top prize of $25m.

Which is likely to ultimately generate more ticket sales? And, more importantly from an economist's point of view, who does the majority of the money come from in each scenario?

In the "Taxed" scenario, 80% of the ticket money is paid back to the purchasers, and 40% of the net governmental income ($20m) comes from the "big winner", who doesn't really mind the fact that they 'only' won $20m. A fairly large percentage of ticket buyers - let's say 10% - win something, as the total pool for 'small prizes' is 25% of the total take. Only 20% of the governmental income comes from "losers".

In the "Not Taxed" scenario, all of the net governmental income comes from the "losers", and only 15% of the total take is given back in "small prizes", so maybe 6% of the players win something. That's a HUGE difference in perceived winning - and more importantly, it makes the lottery more unfair and more harmful to the society, as a significantly higher percentage of people exclusively lose money.
                            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

It's already 'unfair' - it is a tax on the math impaired.
                              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X