No announcement yet.

Behold! The God-Emperor of Irony!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well if he hates Michael Moore, this Verm guy can't be all bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Galis
      Please reconcile the statement that it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than it is for a rich man to get into heaven with the GOP's agenda.
      Shh, not so loud. Philosophiser (anyone remember him?) had this whole shpiel to the effect that Jesus was actually saying there that being wealthy was a good thing, because thanks to the grace of God everything he'd just said about camels and needles was completely false, and...well, he went on for a while, and it was never at all convincing, but it did give you one mother of a headache. But there's some community of Presuppositionalist predestinate predispositional paraplegic presbyterians or whatever out there to whom it all made perfect sense.
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Elok

Shh, not so loud. Philosophiser (anyone remember him?) had this whole shpiel to the effect that Jesus was actually saying there that being wealthy was a good thing, because thanks to the grace of God everything he'd just said about camels and needles was completely false, and...well, he went on for a while, and it was never at all convincing, but it did give you one mother of a headache. But there's some community of Presuppositionalist predestinate predispositional paraplegic presbyterians or whatever out there to whom it all made perfect sense.
        Or the Republicans. I'm sure it makes sense to them too...
        "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
        -Joan Robinson

Comment

Fahrenheit 451 is a very good book, FWIW. All of y'all who haven't read it, you should.
          "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Is it better that Fahrenheit 9/11? A tall order, I know...
            KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
              Well if he hates Michael Moore, this Verm guy can't be all bad.
              That doesn't mean much from you. I bet you think Hitler 'had the right idea'
              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

You're an idiot, you know that?

Comment

Godwned!!!!!!!!!!1

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguar
                    Fahrenheit 451 is a very good book, FWIW. All of y'all who haven't read it, you should.
                    The themes are good. The movie adaptations suck.

And frankly, Ray Bradbury wrote better books. Most of them just don't deal with the notion of censorship, which is why this one is so famed.

As far as Bradbury v. Moore...

Either way, the guy seeking to ban F451 is a ****ing moron.
                    B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                      What would an :irony: smiley look like?
                      Rain on your wedding day.
                      ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Galis

I don't want to ban religious books, I just want people to stop voting for people claiming that they will legislate based on those books, even when those claims are blatantly false.

Please reconcile the statement that it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than it is for a rich man to get into heaven with the GOP's agenda.
                        Well first off one needs to define the GOP agenda. An agenda I find mistifyingly inconsistent of late. Now if you wish to talk to traditional GOP agenda (ala Newt Gingrich days) that of deregulation and keeping government as small as possible, lowering taxes etc. the message is not necessarily at odds with the statement or that of the underlying concept of the Bible.

Namely, the individual is tasked with being moral and doing things godly and unselfishly. To have government by implied or actual use of force of police action act in ways to better the poor (A point which is highly contested that such action actually do so in either short or long term situations) eliminates the self determined actions of the individual. A religious view of the seperation of church and state as it were.

Free will and all that jazz.
                        "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
                          You're an idiot, you know that?
                          Nope but thanks for the information...I shall verify it in due course. Oh wait, it's so far from the truth it's unbelievable
                          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
                            And frankly, Ray Bradbury wrote better books.
                            I agree. I just happen to think very highly of Bradbury in general, and F451 is no exception.
                            "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

There's an Extra Irony in this, because one of the books burned in F451 is the Bible.
                              Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Working...
                              X