No announcement yet.

Tennis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If your racket is old, I recommend a new one. Technology marches on.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
      Uh, seriously? Two handed - it seems to give me more control.
      OK, assuming you're right handed, you want to be stepping into the shot with your right leg to give yourself the shape to get your body strength behind the ball. Double handed backhand helps you get the body behind it, as you can't just wave a squash-shot at it.

Timing is more important than strength of the arms, as the right body shape will allow the strength of your whole body to get through the ball, and judging the line and length just right allows the incoming pace of the ball to be reflected back without hitting it very hard.

Forget playing games with serving etc while working strokeplay, spend half an hour rallying backhands with your partner, and try to get a rhythm going. Rhythm is so important in tennis, where psychology is everything. A tense, nervous player can't play shots as sweetly as a relaxed but concentrated player as their body tightens up. This is true at all levels to the very top.

Comment

Also, an exaggerated backswing can help prepare for a shot. I see so many inexperienced players having to rush the shot at the last minute. Try 'loading the spring' long before the ball arrives, and spend the last moments on footwork and judging the flight of the ball.

Comment

Oo. Advice.

If I can ask a question...

When returning, I seem to have trouble figuring out when I should hit the ball after its bounce. I'll run up too close, or I'll stay too far back on the baseline, or I'll get my body too close to the ball, and this seriously messes up my shot.

Oh right. Question. Um. Instead of doing all those bad things, what should I do?
          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Play back. It's easier to come forward than hit a good return going backwards.

As far as competitive practice, go ahead and play with someone decidely better. If you get to where you can return their smoking serve, all others will look slow motion.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

- and stay on your toes, with a tiny jump as they're about to serve. Don't 'Kangaroo hop', its a waste of energy, but be ready to react quickly to the flight of the ball.

Comment

Working...
              X