Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The inadequacy of ideas and ideologies . . . . . . . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The inadequacy of ideas and ideologies . . . . . . . . .

This is a thought that has been revolving in my mind for some time now :

Can human constructs , ideas and ideologies , ever completely grasp or explain reality ? Or is man forever doomed to seeing the world through inadequate glasses of his own making ? Does not the reality of reality diminish by comaprison all ideals and approximations of it ?

Yes. Yes. No.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

See my profile.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
        Yes. Yes. No.
        I'm not talking of science - there I accept that it can approximate reality with such closeness that the difference becomes irrelevant . I'm talking of other concepts , more general ones , more inclusive ones .

Comment

No. Maybe. Banana.
          Blah

Comment

Could be. Can't say. Never know.
            I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

In all seriousness, if it's not about science, what other things do you mean (and use to explain reality)?
              Blah

Comment

What he means is that some people think the world is being held aloft by four giant elephants who stand on top of a giant turtle. Now, how good a representation of the real thing is that, and can such a representation ever be as good as the real thing?
                Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
                  What he means is that some people think the world is being held aloft by four giant elephants who stand on top of a giant turtle. Now, how good a representation of the real thing is that, and can such a representation ever be as good as the real thing?
                  I confess that I have absolutely no idea what you're trying to say .

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
                    In all seriousness, if it's not about science, what other things do you mean (and use to explain reality)?
                    Philosophy ? Religion ? Politics ?

Comment

And how would these completely explain reality, as you wrote in the op?
                      Blah

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
                        And how would these completely explain reality, as you wrote in the op?
                        Completely explaining reality would mean that you are able to completely recreate , with no loss of detail , the reality you are describing or striving to understand , assuming that you have only these ideas or ideologies given to you ( with appropriate definitions ) .

Comment

But if you already counted science out which is usually our best tool for explaining something - how can you expect those others to explain reality completely? "Completely" would mean including (especially!) scientific explanations, otherwise it doesn't seem complete to me...how could you hpe to come to a "complete" understanding of reality just by say, religion?
                          Blah

Comment

Working...
                          X