This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Come on... if you were demoted in your job and some guy who was below you was put in that job, how would you respond to the boss saying you should give the new guy some pointers because "we're all in this together"? I know most people would probably tell the boss to **** off... or accept in order to keep getting a paycheck while they look for another job and not really help the new guy out at all.

I've always been of the opinion that we ask far more of professional athletes than we do of ourselves.
    If the boss mouthed some platitude like "we're all in this together," then that's certainly cause for resentment. But if the boss says, you're not getting the job done, and can point out why he's making a change, and as long as you're still on the job, you're expected to help out, then if you're a team player, you do. If you tell the boss to shove it, then you better be prepared to seek a new job. If you don't really help the new guy out, then you're not a team player.

(And I wasn't aware you know what "most people" would do. Please forgive my ignorance.)

Sure, maybe we do expect a lot of athletes. Maybe it's not always warranted, but then, as Sloww says, they do get paid a lot more money than most people, and they are treated as role models, so I don't think it's entirely unjustified, either.
    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
    Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
    One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowwHand
      Who makes the players worth anything at all? Fans.
      How many fans have this salary structure?
      I don't think expectations are so overextended.

New minimum salary scale
      Exp. Minimum salary
      R $225,000
      1 $300,000
      2 $375,000
      3 $450,000
      4-6 *$525,000
      7-9 *$650,000
      10+ *$750,000
      *All minimum salaries beyond four years of experience will only count $450,000 against teams' salary caps.
      The amount they are making is irrelevant. I don't expect basic human behavior to change based on the amount you are making. What, do you expect people at big firms to magically behave like better people that those that work at McDonald's?

Besides, the salary is run by supply and demand. I don't begrudge them for their large paychecks.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• They make it strictly due to fans, Imran. You're telling me they can draw pay, based solely on fan support, yet the fans have no right to expectations?
        That's borderline spastic thinking. Next thing we know, you'll be looking like Tuberski's avatar.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

They make it strictly due to fans, Imran. You're telling me they can draw pay, based solely on fan support, yet the fans have no right to expectations?
          That's borderline spastic thinking. Next thing we know, you'll be looking like Tuberski's avatar.
          If the fans want to make their voices heard, stop paying for seats, stop paying for gear. Realistically it is no different than saying IBM's officers make their pay strictly due to customers and the customers have expectations. If the customers' keep buying the good, what does their 'expectation' matter?
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

NFL.com poll of the day.

Which of these teams is most likely to win the Super Bowl?
            Chicago Bears
            Denver Broncos
            Indianapolis Colts
            New Orleans Saints
            New England Patriots
            Arizona Cardinals

Comment

• It's still a management-employee relationship. It happened to me in corporate world and I sucked it up.

If Bledsoe knew he would refuse to participate in a non-starter role, he should have stipulated that in his contract. He didn't. Who plays is the coach's call. Bledsoe is entitled to his opinion -- although I would argue that going on camera and calling Parcells' decision "monumentally stupid" was ill-advised. Actively eroding support of the coach is clearly conduct detrimental to the team. He's eligible to be fined or suspended.

Yeah, Jerry J. decided he wanted TO instead of much-needed help on the offensive line. It was a bad choice. Parcells is trying to make the best of the situation. Bledsoe hasn't performed well and paid the price.

If he keeps acting like a 4-year old, that price might go higher. And he'd best put his investment portfolio in order, becasue his odds of finding a starter's job in the future are already nearly zero.
              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

The amount they are making is irrelevant. I don't expect basic human behavior to change based on the amount you are making. What, do you expect people at big firms to magically behave like better people that those that work at McDonald's?

Besides, the salary is run by supply and demand. I don't begrudge them for their large paychecks.
                Other QB's can do it, Why not Bledsoe.

sure, most of them are faking it. But at least they try to be helpful. Witness Kurt Warner's comments to Leinart on that monday night football game prior to the final 2 minute -should have been- scoring drive.

Comment

• And if I was running the circus, Bledsoe would have exactly 5 minutes to get with the program or become a part of history.

Romo gets the call at QB

Drew Bledsoe is out and Tony Romo is in. Bill Parcells announced Wednesday that Romo will be the starter at quarterback when the Cowboys play at Carolina on Sunday night. Romo replaced a struggling Bledsoe at the start of the second half in Monday's 36-22 loss to the New York Giants. Romo will be the Cowboys' ninth different starting quarterback since Troy Aikman retired after the 2000 season.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

• See that going off in the distance? It's Dallas's season. Bye-bye season, fare thee well.

Looks like I'm doomed to deal with a team I hate (either the Eagles or the Giants) coming out of the East...
                    CGN | a bunch of incoherent nonsense
                    Chris Jericho: First-Ever Undisputed Champion of Professional Wrestling & God Incarnate
                    Mystique & Aura: Appearing Nightly @ Yankee Stadium! | Red & Pewter Pride
                    Head Coach/General Manager, Kyrandia Dragonhawks (2004 Apolyton Fantasy Football League Champions)

Comment

• I hope the Cowboys lose every game the rest of the season.
                      Take the high draft pick and get rid of the bawl bags.

Comment

• Let me join you in rooting the Cowboys to a VERY high draft pick. Even if it's a tank job, I still take pleasure in every bit of adversity for that team.

Brady Quinn was born to be a Cowboy. And since I hate Notre Dame as well, it's a match made in hate-heaven.
                        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Working...
                        X