No announcement yet.

Iceland without military protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They also keep a sizeable reserve of ponies. Should come in handy if we run out of oil some day.

Comment

yeah and I think they have this rule that if an icelandic pony leaves Iceland it can never return (to keep the breed pure probably).

so they won't demand them back hehe
      CSPA

Comment

They don't exactly have a lot of enemies and I suspect that their contribution to NATO was their strategic position particularly as a submarine monotoring post and for basing aircraft.

If you think of doing a NATO-Warsaw Pact scenario, think about how much different things look if you place Iceland firmly in Soviet hands. It totally changes the dynamic in the North Atlantic for resupply to Europe. I think that NATO undertook to protect them simply because of that fact
        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Just as an aside, the arrangement originated from the outbreak of WWII, when U.S. forces occupied Iceland upon the German occupation of Denmark in 1940. (Iceland unilaterally declared its full independence from Denmark - that is, the dissolution of the personal union with the Danish Monarch - in 1944, with the Danish King and government effectively unable to intervene one way or another, their hands being tied by the occupation). Likewise, the UK took control of the Faroe Islands immediately upon the German attack on Denmark, and maintained control there throughout the war.

Comment

Originally posted by Datajack Franit
            Who would want to invade a place called ICEland anyway?
            Do you think GREENland would be any better?
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
              If they have no armed forces of their own, what exactly do they contribute to NATO?
              They were needed to maintain the anti-submarine line along the Greenland-Iceland-UK Gap. NATO wanted to maintain control of that waterway in order to keep Soviet ships out of the Atlantic sea lanes. NATO built a really expensive line of underwater sonar arrays which stretched from Scotland to Iceland and from Iceland to Greenland.

Comment

Originally posted by Datajack Franit
                Who would want to invade a place called ICEland anyway?
                I hear the women are fair, and the hot fountains are nice.
                I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

I was told by an icelandic woman while in Spain, that they are all practically cousins
                  I need a foot massage

Comment

And that's why the U.S. military forces there were mostly out of West Virginia.

Comment

Originally posted by Brachy-Pride
                      I was told by an icelandic woman while in Spain, that they are all practically cousins
                      The island was settled by a very small group of people so that all of the natives are related in one way or another. Supposedly Iceland has the least genetic diversity of any nation on Earth.

Comment

It´s good to get rid of you, yanks.
                        Man, no one wants a place that cold. I mean, I would never support invading Iceland. It's not like you want to go on a vacation there, if you happen to live here. But we might make Bjork our slave so... maybe we should reconsider..
                        The place ain´t cold (Maybe for sissies though ). Not with the global warming anyway.
                        Iceland's got:
                        Me, northern lights, beautiful landscape(Being drowned as we write), fresh air, unpolluted water, enough space, beautiful women...doesn´t seem bad to me. Reykjavik sucks though, don´t go there.

And I have never heard that the horses can´t return if they leave Iceland. But maybe I´m just stupid.
                        Ef þú getur lesið þetta þá kanntu kannski íslensku. Það getur verið að þú sért að vera sniðugur eins og viss herramaður sem ég nafngreini ekki. Eða að þú sért Færeyingur eða Nojari.

Comment

Who protects us now from Iceland?
                          Blah

Comment

Dunno. Slovenia maybe?
                            Ef þú getur lesið þetta þá kanntu kannski íslensku. Það getur verið að þú sért að vera sniðugur eins og viss herramaður sem ég nafngreini ekki. Eða að þú sért Færeyingur eða Nojari.

Comment

Canada must invade before those dirty Danes can get there.
                              ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

We already had them. Right now, we're in the post-coital relaxation phase.

Comment

Working...
                                X