Iceland without military protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iceland without military protection

US military pull out leaves Iceland with no armed forces Sat Sep 30, 4:25 PM ET

The United States completed the withdrawal of its armed forces from Iceland, leaving the country with no permanent military protection, the Icelandic Foreign Ministry said.

"All the people have left. The base is normal now," Albert Jonsson, a foreign policy advisor to Icleandic Prime Minister Geir Haarde told AFP.

The last US military personnel left their base next to Iceland's remote Keflavik airport on Saturday, completing the US pullout from the country.

"At the beginning of the 1990s there were almost 3,000 military personnel," Jonsson said, adding that the family members brought the total population of the Keflavik base to around 6,000.

But by the time of Saturday's pullout, the base had been running on a skeleton staff and there were only about 60 people living there.

Asked what would become of the facility, Jonsson said the government was currently considering various options for its future but that no firm decisions had yet been taken.

"We are beginning to work for the base's conversion," the advisor said. "But we haven't decided yet exactly what we will do."

With the US withdrawal, Iceland becomes one of the few countries in the world to have no permanent military presence.

However, Reykjavik said recently it was not planning to create a national force to replace the US operation.

"We are not considering any alternative military options," Jonsson said.

The United States has guaranteed Iceland's defense since 1951 following an agreement between the two countries.

During World War II Keflavik was a key US base and it remained important to the NATO alliance during the cold war.

But in recent years its usefulness to the alliance has dwindled, prompting Washington's decision to abandon the base.

"The permanent presence will come to an end ... but the United States has said that it will continue to provide for the defense of Iceland," Jonsson told AFP recently.

Iceland was initially fiercely opposed to the departure of the US forces.

Close to 700 Icelanders were employed by the base, providing jobs for a sparsely populated corner of the island.

In addition, the base oversaw the maintenance of Keflavik International Airport, as well as providing the airport's fire department. It also assisted the Icelandic Coast Guard in search and rescue operations.

"The prime minister and foreign minister said the preference of the government was to have a minimum US presence based in Iceland ... but they have said that the (final agreement) is fully satisfactory," Jonsson said.

CSPA

Fortunately Russia is now tied down in Georgia, the US is in Iraq, and most Germans are peace-loving hippies! So Iceland is quite safe. If they want some action, they should invest heavily in the cartoon business
    Blah

Comment

Hm,
      could still evolve to a dangerous situation.

Maybe already at the time I write this
      an iranian or north korean invasion fleet is on the way to island,
      to claim island as a base for its nuclear weapons
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Dont they have Stealth Nation Technology?
        "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Man, no one wants a place that cold. I mean, I would never support invading Iceland. It's not like you want to go on a vacation there, if you happen to live here. But we might make Bjork our slave so... maybe we should reconsider..
          In da butt.
          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

The giant whales are plotting revenge as we speak..

Comment

Get me a gun, I'm going to invade and have myself my own country
              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Who would want to invade a place called ICEland anyway?
                I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Datajack Franit
                  Who would want to invade a place called ICEland anyway?

Someone making a takeover bid ?
                  Attached Files
                  Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Re: Iceland without military protection

Originally posted by Gangerolf

US military pull out leaves Iceland with no armed forces Sat Sep 30, 4:25 PM ET

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060930...y_060930202511
                    Bjork "Play Dead" is now the official retaliation weapon.
                    A reform of the sugacubes may yet be threatened.

Comment

If they have no armed forces of their own, what exactly do they contribute to NATO?

Comment

A really nice landing strip in the north atlantic.

-Arrian
                        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
                          If they have no armed forces of their own, what exactly do they contribute to NATO?
                          Moral support

And if things get really bad, they re-animate dragons and berserks.
                          Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                            A really nice landing strip in the north atlantic.

-Arrian
                            Airstrip Two
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Beat me to it, Imran.

Comment

Working...
                              X