X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mexico chastises Rice over remarks on Mexican political system

08:24 PM CDT on Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Associated Press

MEXICO CITY – Mexico said Wednesday that Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice was out of line by suggesting that its democracy was just now maturing, saying it wasn't up to her to voice such opinions publicly.
    Excuse me?

In a Monday interview with The Wall Street Journal's editorial board, Rice said Mexico was beginning to put its disputed July 2 election behind it.

"Mexico has come through this crisis and I think it's been a real vote of confidence in the Mexican democratic system, which after all, is relatively – it's just now maturing in a kind of two-party system," Rice said.

Ruben Aguilar, spokesman for President Vicente Fox, said Wednesday that "we shouldn't be surprised that other countries salute Mexican institutions," but said Rice shouldn't comment on Mexican democracy.

"We don't agree with the declaration of the secretary of state because, in accordance with the construction of Mexico's political system, it's only up to Mexicans themselves to voice those opinions," he said told a briefing for reporters at the presidential residence.

Mexican officials have expressed even stronger disapproval of comments by Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, who recently questioned the legitimacy of the presidential election.

Rice's suggestion that Mexico is headed toward a two-party system may have been her most controversial remark. The Institutional Revolutionary Party controlled Mexico's presidency from 1929 until a stunning loss to Fox in 2000. But the country has three major political parties, and several others are represented in its Congress.

Former Energy Secretary Felipe Calderon, of Fox's conservative, pro-business National Action Party, was declared the winner of the July 2 election by about 0.6 percent and will take office Dec. 1.

But leftist runner-up Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador has rallied hundreds of thousands in street protests alleging election fraud and he has declared a parallel government.

Aguilar would not say if Mexico planned to lodge an official complaint with Washington.

During the Wall Street Journal interview, Rice said support for Lopez Obrador appeared to be fading, noting that "while Chavez continues to say he'll support Lopez Obrador and all of that, the question is will Mexicans."

"And it doesn't appear that they will. It appears that the Mexicans wish to get back to reality here, to a stable political environment."
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Touchy, touchy.

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

"Hey nice Democracy"

"Shuddup"

WTF?!

Mexico is nuts. If I was Mexican I would be an illegal alien.
      Monkey!!!

Comment

If American scientists want to be useful, they can devise a method of creating rip tides in shallow water.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

It implies, that up untill now, their democracy has been juvenile, or immature. I'd recent such implication.
          I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Which is entirely correct, by the way. They had one party rule until quite recently. Political murders all over the place...

So yeah, perhaps one might be defensive about it were one a Mexican politician. Which is why "touchy, touchy" was my response. It's understandable, but kinda amusing (because, for once at least, Rice is right).

-Arrian
            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

No, it implies that someone from a party other than the incombant party can actually win instead of the current party flexing their power to get votes.

Vincente Fox was the first opposition party to win an election in the country in 90 years!
              Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tattila the Hun
                It implies, that up untill now, their democracy has been juvenile, or immature. I'd recent such implication.
                No comment, on any of that.

Comment

Fox was a lousy president though... not sure what that says
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

I thought we had successfully stayed out of this fight...

Rice shouldn't have opined.
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Tattila the Hun
                      Me too, but to say that "it wasn't up to her to voice such opinions publicly" proves the validity of her statement. Or maybe she should retract her statement because it was obviously giving them too much credit.
                      Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                      1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

true, politics should be able to critique political systems... it's what they do!

"We don't agree with the declaration of the secretary of state because, in accordance with the construction of Mexico's political system, it's only up to Mexicans themselves to voice those opinions,"
                        Maybe it's like the N-word. It's ok for black people to use it, but not okay for secretary of states.
                        Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                          I thought we had successfully stayed out of this fight...

Rice shouldn't have opined.
                          You're right. She should have stayed quiet.

It's not that what she said was right or wrong. The neighbors of the US don't want or appreciate comments on their democracy from US officials.
                          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

To be clear, I think this is just a tactical thing. I have no problem with Rice discussing democracy in other places. Or discussing Mexican democracy in a year or so.
                            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I see the point. It's ok for Venezuela to make remarks. It's ok for Syria to throw in their 2 cents. France can be critical. Mobius can have terminal diarrhea of the mouth.

God forbid we make any statement on Mexican attempts at democracy.

Comment

Working...
                              X