Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Man's Best Friend, Yea, Even Unto Death...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man's Best Friend, Yea, Even Unto Death...

Faithful Fido.

Apparently freeze drying pets isn't just for elderly ladies with more money than sense:

September 25, 2006—Just as modern dog lovers pamper their pets with morsels from the table and space on the bed, it seems that ancient Peruvians also treated their dogs like members of the family.

That's the conclusion archaeologists have reached after uncovering more than 40 mummified dogs in a thousand-year-old pet cemetery south of Lima, Peru.

Peruvian anthropologist Sonia Guillen and her team made the find while excavating a human cemetery of the Chiribaya culture, an agricultural society that thrived from A.D. 900 to 1350, before the rise of the Inca.

The researchers found 43 dogs buried in separate plots alongside their human owners, naturally preserved by the desert sands and ensconced with treats for the afterlife.

"We have found that in all the cemeteries, always, in between the human tombs there are others dedicated to the dogs, full-grown and puppies," Guillen told the Associated Press.

"They have their own grave, and in some cases they are buried with blankets and food."

The discovery speaks volumes about the high status the Chiribaya culture placed on the dogs, which Guillen says were prized for their skill in herding llamas.

But the find also raises questions about what, if any, claim Peru's modern-day dogs might have to these ancient, celebrated canines.

Guillen's team is currently trying to prove that the Chiribaya shepherds have descendants still living today, and that the dogs constitute a unique breed.

"We have found very similar animals with the same characteristics in Peru's southern valleys," she said.

"This shepherd is still among us."

—Blake de Pastino
    Explore National Geographic. A world leader in geography, cartography and exploration.

Not just a slightly shaggy dog story...
    Attached Files
    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

awwwwwwww how cute!
    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Either that guy has massive hands or that dog is tiny.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Owner dies...kill the dogs.

It's a fair cop.
        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

B♭3

Comment

Working...
          X