X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rah
    How is it for the rest of you?

1/3
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Mine was bassed on Gross pay.
      Isn't the magic number for mortgage companies 25% of gross?

Even though it's been refinanced, our original morgage is from over 15 years ago so the amount was quite cheap compared to today's prices.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by rah
        I was reading in the paper the other day that the percentage of their gross income paid for housing is dramatically increasing. There's a much higher percentage in the 30s range (wish I had a link)

So I did a quick rough calculation and noticed that for our family it's around 10%

How is it for the rest of you?
        In terms of after-tax income my wife and I spend ~30% on rent
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• In terms of gross income, it's more like 22.5%
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• 20%-25%
            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• 25% goes on tax? I would have thought it lower than that.

One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• Including real estate taxes, for me the carrying cost is under 10% of my gross income. Over the last several years, the effective cost of my housing has been roughly -35% of my gross income, using the equation Adam Smith quoted. I was opportunistic by buying in a rough area that transitioned into yuppyville.
                Last edited by DanS; October 4, 2006, 15:59.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                  Typical physicist. Reality is far more complicated...decreasing overall house prices (especially if proportionally) may cause panic making more people sell increasing supply...or a large increase in interest rate may increase the number of repossessions and thus increase the supply of properties on the market...and then there are external factors...it is impossible to treat this kind of scenario like this.
                  And yet [our] Adam Smith did and economists regularly do.

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                    My thought is that it's quite simply a bit of a bubble. It's not based on good sense or any classical micro theory. Just people wanting to believe that a 10% increase one year means 10% increases every year from then on, world without end, amen.
                    arbitrage.

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                      i.e. inflation. And if a drop in the fed funds rate causes additional inflation of 1% per annum this somehow explains an additional 5% per annum increase in housing?
                      I don't see why a monetary stimulus can't have a disproportionate impact on a certain sector of the economy. Upwards as well as downwards. We're talking about a time-period of only 5 to 10 years here and for all we know the next 5 to 10 years everything moves into the opposite direction.

The simple fact is that people were spending more of their incomes on housing, as a percent (or equivalently taking on longer amortization periods). A combination of inflation and lower interest rates does not predict that.
                      "Irrational exuberance"?
                      DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

• shade tree planter

Comment

• Originally posted by TCO

arbitrage.
                          do elaborate
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• colored maps listing average price per square foot of housing across the USA...

part of the reason the US housing market has gotten so distorted is that people aren't paying for houses, they're paying for land... it does not cost 10 times more to build a house here in the Bay Area than it does in the Midwest. Maybe twice as much, but definitely not 10 times.
                            Visit First Cultural Industries
                            There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                            Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

• Uh.....duh?
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by Smiley
                                colored maps listing average price per square foot of housing across the USA...

part of the reason the US housing market has gotten so distorted is that people aren't paying for houses, they're paying for land... it does not cost 10 times more to build a house here in the Bay Area than it does in the Midwest. Maybe twice as much, but definitely not 10 times.
                                Well I bet the building codes and labor costs in S.F. are pretty stringent / high to start with. Then the cost of land is so high that the value of the building tends to be a small proportion of the total, which means it is a relatively small cost for someone spending that sort of money to build bigger or more elaborately. So they do so. The bottom line is that those buildings are more expensive on average than those built elsewhere, regardless of the land cost.
                                He's got the Midas touch.
                                But he touched it too much!
                                Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Working...
                                X