No announcement yet.

Price of oil drops 24% in 2 months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go invest your dollars there. Give me a good vehicle to short your venture.

Comment

• Originally posted by TCO
      I want a competetive, non-cartel price. I am quite happy with letting the market and financial interests take care of the long term. Would much rather have a volatile, but overall lower price then a cartel-controlled one.
      Thats the thing about the OPEC cartel . .. they have not shown much of an ability to control price all that much. They do some production cutbacks to support price from time to time but thats pretty normal and expected.

IF OPRC is all so controlling, I ask why a barrell of coca-cola costs more than a barrell of oil ?
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• It's a monopoly product with added value (brand). Sheesh. Go look up trademarks, ya hack shyster.

Comment

• Apparently the Feds are delaying the buying of oil until after the elections, to reduce demand.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• So how come futures prices don't show a rapid increase? For that matter, it's impossible to manipulate price in a manner like that, because people would just hold for when the buying is going to occur.

Comment

It's a monopoly product with added value (brand). Sheesh. Go look up trademarks, ya hack shyster.

:hack shyster
              Last edited by Flubber; October 10, 2006, 01:05.
              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• FYI, he was referring to Coca-Cola, not oil.

IOW, you would have to make a comparison between oil and water, f.e.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

So how come futures prices don't show a rapid increase?
                  I don't know, but the that's what the Feds are doing. Normally they start buying oil in September to restock the strategic reserve. This time they aren't, and that's a lot of oil. Does it account for the whole drop? Certainly not. In fact, I doubt there's a significant effect, maybe 5 - 10 cents a gallon . . . maybe. More importantly, however, is the attempt by the Feds to manipulate the market, probably for political gain.
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara

I don't know, but the that's what the Feds are doing. Normally they start buying oil in September to restock the strategic reserve. This time they aren't, and that's a lot of oil. Does it account for the whole drop? Certainly not. In fact, I doubt there's a significant effect, maybe 5 - 10 cents a gallon . . . maybe. More importantly, however, is the attempt by the Feds to manipulate the market, probably for political gain.
                    As TCO says, that is speculation without futures pricing this in to forward delivery.

Keep trying though.
                    www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara I don't know, but the that's what the Feds are doing. Normally they start buying oil in September to restock the strategic reserve. This time they aren't, and that's a lot of oil. Does it account for the whole drop? Certainly not. In fact, I doubt there's a significant effect, maybe 5 - 10 cents a gallon . . . maybe. More importantly, however, is the attempt by the Feds to manipulate the market, probably for political gain.
                      I don't know anything about the way US strategic oil reserve is maintained, but if that conspiracy theory is correct, the drop in prices should be temporary and we should be over 70$ again by next January.

Somehow, I doubt it. It's lame how you spread the hints of crackpot conspiracy theories with no merits whatsoever while refusing to commit your opinion into them because you yourself know they're false.

Comment

• Originally posted by VJ

I don't know anything about the way US strategic oil reserve is maintained, but if that conspiracy theory is correct, the drop in prices should be temporary and we should be over 70$ again by next January.
                        If true the people running the strategic reserve MAY be looking to buy oil cheaper than it is at the moment. Perhaps they see projections that see oil going a little lower yet and are delaying the purchase for that reason.

I doubt however that the delay of a strategic reserve purchase would generally have a large impact on the price. I believe that the fundamentals of daily usage versus daily supply hold much greater sway and the articles I have seen indicate that supply being actually produced now exceeds daily demand

Comment

• That was an egregious cross-edit, ya hack shyster!
                          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Originally posted by DanS
                            That was an egregious cross-edit, ya hack shyster!
                            I thought it was appropriate . Its not every day you get to "DanS" DanS

Comment

• Oh well. After all, I agree that it was appropriate.

Comment

• Originally posted by VJ

Somehow, I doubt it. It's lame how you spread the hints of crackpot conspiracy theories with no merits whatsoever while refusing to commit your opinion into them because you yourself know they're false.
                                Purchases for the oil reserve is extremely small compared to the market as a whole, less than one percent for sure, and probably much smaller than that.
                                I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                                - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Working...
                                X