Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Venezuela foreign minister detained, US apologizes

Venezuela foreign minister detained, US apologizes

CARACAS, Venezuela (Reuters) - Venezuela's foreign minister was detained at a New York airport on Saturday, prompting an apology from the U.S. government and compounding already tense relations between the two countries.

In New York, State Department spokesman Gonzalo Gallegos said the United States regretted the incident involving Foreign Minister Nicolas Maduro at John F. Kennedy airport.

"The United States government apologized to Foreign Minister Maduro and the Venezuelan government," said Gallegos.

Venezuelan television said Maduro was stopped for an hour and a half and stripped of his travel documents.

"We denounce the U.S. government for violating international law," Maduro told Venezuelan television from New York, asking U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan to condemn his seizure.

Venezuela's Foreign Ministry said Maduro would not be returning to Venezuela on Saturday night.

The State Department said airport security had questioned the foreign minister and then U.S. diplomatic security was sent to the airport to resolve the issue.

The minister was told he could board the plane before it took off but he chose instead to return to New York City, the State Department added.

"This is a provocation from Mr. Devil," Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez told Venezuelan state television, using a name he called President Bush at the U.N. General Assembly this week. Maduro had also been attending the U.N. meeting.

Chavez continually accuses Washington of plotting to overthrow and assassinate him, charges the United States dismisses.

Last month, Washington and Caracas had a spat over a diplomatic cargo that Venezuela impounded despite U.S. assurances it was entitled to immunity.

Chavez: U.S. Detained Foreign Minister

CARACAS, Venezuela - Venezuela's foreign minister was detained by U.S. authorities at a New York airport for more than hour Saturday as he tried to return to the South American country, President Hugo Chavez said.

U.S. and U.N. officials called the incident regrettable but said Foreign Minister Nicolas Maduro had been identified for "secondary screening," a security check that can kick in when a passenger arrives without a ticket.

Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez told Venezuela's state TV broadcaster that U.S. officials alleged that Maduro had links to a failed coup that Chavez led in Venezuela in 1992.

"They have held him accusing him of participating in terrorist acts here," Chavez said in Venezuela. "He didn't even participate in that patriotic rebellion," he said, referring to the uprising he led while still an army officer.

Both Venezuelan politicians were in New York the past week attending the yearly U.N. General Assembly, where Chavez called President Bush "the devil" during his U.N. speech. He later criticized the U.S. leader during a stop in Harlem before returning home.

Homeland Security spokesman Russ Knocke said in Washington that Maduro was referred for secondary screening but never reached that section of the airport.

"He began to articulate his frustration with secondary screening right after he went through the magnetometer," Knocke said, referring to the walk-through metal detector. "Port Authority officials confronted him when the situation became a ruckus." Knocke did not elaborate.

A U.N. diplomat, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak publicly, said that Maduro's passage was delayed because he had showed up late without a ticket, prompting the screening.

"We can confirm that a regrettable incident occurred at John F. Kennedy airport for which the U.S. government has apologized to Foreign Minister Maduro and the government of Venezuela," U.S. State Department spokesman Tom Casey said.

Maduro told CNN en Espanol that he was confined to a small room and told to remove his clothes. He charged that when he showed his diplomatic passport, he says he was threatened, pushed and yelled at by immigration and police officials.

"They were violating diplomatic conventions," he said.

Knocke denied the allegations, telling the AP that "there's no evidence to substantiate any sort of abnormality in the screening process."

In remarks carried by Venezuelan TV stations, Maduro said U.S. authorities claimed a code on his airplane ticket identified him as "almost a terrorist."

Maduro abandoned his plans to board his flight and returned to New York city.

The incident comes as tensions between the two countries have taken a particularly confrontational turn this week.

Chavez has previously called Bush a "devil," "donkey" and "madman." While two countries are tied by oil Venezuela is among the top five suppliers of crude to the U.S. relations soured sharply in 2002 after the Bush administration swiftly recognized leaders who briefly ousted Chavez in a coup, before the Venezuelan returned to power amid street protests.

But this week's verbal attacks against his long-time foe while on American soil elicited a sharp backlash.

Bush's political foes and friends alike have condemned the remarks, newspapers have sharply criticized the Venezuelan leader, while a call has emerged for businesses to boycott Venezuela-owned Citgo Petroleum Corp. One U.S. governor said his state is no longer interested in buying discounted heating oil from Venezuela this winter.

Earlier Saturday, Chavez said Bush may be seeking to kill him for calling him "the devil" at the United Nations.

"Some worried friends over there have called me (to say) that because I called him the devil they have condemned me to death," Chavez said without elaborating further on his sources.

"But they won't kill me. I have faith in life," he said. "I know how to take care of myself and the Lord will protect me and you all will protect me," he told a cheering crowd in eastern Venezuela where he was visiting a group of state-funded agricultural cooperatives.

AP U.N. correspondent Edith M. Lederer contributed to this report.
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

I wish I was standing in line at the airport security screening to see that unfold

Comment

Maduro's passage was delayed because he had showed up late without a ticket, prompting the screening
      Message of the day: DONT BE LATE
      Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
      Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
      giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

This is news? Our country prepares to legalize torture, and all you can find to irritate your American masters with is a minor diplomatic faux pax? We're sliding into tyrrany, and this is the best you can come up with? How . completely . lame .
        Last edited by chequita guevara; September 24, 2006, 07:55.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Maduro's passage was delayed because he had showed up late without a ticket, prompting the screening

From the looks of it, Venezuela's Foreign Minister is as stupid as its President, only in a more down to earth way.

Comment

Working...
          X