Is There a Free Online Atlas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is There a Free Online Atlas?

I'd like to use some maps on my web site. I mostly use Encarta World Atlas for reference but I'm sure those maps are copyright protected.

Google maps also has pretty strict terms of use.

I've found some sites with scans of old atlases (presumably the copyright expired) but the resolution is too low.

So does anyone know of a free atlas I could download/use?

nm

Comment

Try the CIA World Factbook
      Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

That's an excellent site.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Use google maps through their API. It is pretty open (as such things go) and simple to use. That way you don't pick up all the legal issues involved with downloading/reusing their content.
          "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Copyrights of anything post 1920ish are not expired unless the owner no longer exists (and did not pass them to someone else), iirc. The World Factbook is a great choice, though.
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

There are probably old atlases lapsed out of copyright at your local library that you can scan. Then again, the older you get, it's going to be inaccurate for things like political borders etc.

I dunno if Google would ever b*tch for you using a map for your own personal little nonprofit webpage, though.
              meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Talking about old atlases, the other dday I discovered yemen is no longer 2 countries

when did they get unified?
                I need a foot massage

Comment

Originally posted by Brachy-Pride
                  Talking about old atlases, the other dday I discovered yemen is no longer 2 countries

when did they get unified?
                  1990 IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by mrmitchell
                    I dunno if Google would ever b*tch for you using a map for your own personal little nonprofit webpage, though.
                    Yeah, but if I put ads on the page one day, it becomes for profit and I break the licence.

Anyway, I found an excellent online atlas/map collection where most maps aren't copyrighted

Comment

Working...
                    X