Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muslim Council of Britain attacks BBC for promoting Islamic extremist

It's a longish article, so I'll quote a few bits:

The chief Muslim organisation in Britain has condemned the BBC for giving a well-known Islamic extremist who hijacked a speech by the Home Secretary a prime-time platform to air his views today.

The decision to interview Abu Izzadeen today during the key 8.10am slot on the agenda-setting Today programme was heavily criticised by the Muslim Council of Britain (MCB), which described Abu Izzadeen as a "thug" and accused the BBC of deliberately trying to generate publicity.

"There was no attempt to balance the interview or challenge his views by having a mainstream Muslim view featured. This really plays into the hands of those who think of Muslims as bigots. People are very upset about this misrepresentation of Islam."

Abu Izzadeen, also known as Omar Brookes, renewed his attack on the Government, accusing Tony Blair of being a "Crusader" against Islam, and warned of Muslim retaliation in the UK if the Government continued with its measures against terrorism, during the interview this morning on Radio Four. He also rejected democracy and called for the UK to come under Sharia law during the heated exchange.

On Wednesday, he interrupted a speech by John Reid by shouting down the Home Secretary as he urged Muslim parents to keep a watch on their children and look out for signs which suggested they were being radicalised by extremists.

A convert to Islam, Abu Izzadeen has been investigated over comments made about the London suicide bombings, and is said to be a former spokesman for the radical Islamic group al-Ghurabaa, an offshoot of al-Muhajiroun - both of which are now banned in the UK.

What were the BBC thinking?
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

They were thinking ratings are good.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Ratings are less relevent to the BBC than regular commercial radio.

Comment

But not so much that they don't matter .
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Based on the charter, content should be more important by far. (The BBC has been told not to chase ratings for ratings sake)
          Last edited by Dauphin; September 22, 2006, 18:05.

Comment

Exactly. I can see this backfiring worse than the general positive of ratings.
            Smile
            For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
            But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

HAHAHAHAHA SHARIA LAW HAHAHAHA--oh, he's serious. Oh, man. Do suggestions like this get made frequently enough over there that you folks have ceased to find them funny?
              1011 1100
              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

In the UK we're already looking at appeasements to Sharia Law. We would laugh if it didn't scare the **** out of us.
                Smile

Comment

Oh, dear. Assuming that's not hyperbole, Bush's civil liberties problems seem positively wonderful by comparison to sharia.
                  1011 1100
                  Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Yup.
                    (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                    (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                    (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Did anyone commenting in this thread actually hear the interview?
                      The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

There's a transcript with the link I provided.

Comment

That's very far from complete.

I really can't see what the fuss is about. Actually, that's not true- it's just another regular News International pop at the BBC.

I heard the interview, and in the context of the programme it's hard to see what the problem is. It's not as if there was any promotion of extremist virtues by the BBC- Humphreys was challenging the tosser throughout. The only surprise was that Humphreys was on poor form.

So what you had was a ranty young man who was in no danger of winning over anyone who wasn't already converted. He was a figure in the news, and I think it was entirely appropriate for him to be interviewed. So what if he used to be in a banned organisation? So did Gerry Adams and the current Pope.

Comment

Originally posted by Drogue
                            In the UK we're already looking at appeasements to Sharia Law. .

Can you expand on that?

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
                              Can you expand on that?
                              Firstly there were the polls in various papers about Muslim's wanting Sharia law, so so minister (I think it may havebeen Clarke when he was home secretary) said he'd look into areas of it. I also remember some news story about local governments allowing religious courts to uphold religious agreements in certain areas, in line with Sharia law.

It's more of a general trend - every time some extremist cleric says "we need Sharia law", the response is slightly more accepting. I know we have nothing close to it yet, but important people keep saying they're looking into appeasements to Sharia law, rather than implimenting it wholeheartedly.
                              Smile

Comment

Working...
                              X