Latest energy drink gets some bad buzz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest energy drink gets some bad buzz

Currently, in the states, this is only offered in California and New York.
    I'm sorry, but I have to agree that it sends the wrong message to youth.
    I saw it on a news channel while I was at lunch. It has 350% more caffeine than Red Bull.
    The inventor may drink a can or two a week, because he doesn't feel a need for it.

By CAROL ANN CAMPBELL

Newhouse News Service

In the competitive market for "energy drinks," the aim is to advertise more caffeine, more buzz, more attitude.

Even more controversy.

The latest drink to bust from the pack promises the euphoria of drugs — but legally. And it's receiving buzz — especially from anti-drug advocates.

The Cocaine Energy Drink, created by a Las Vegas beverage maker, contains no narcotics but boasts on its Web site, "Instant Rush. No Crash!"

Drinkers are told they will experience the "highest energy content of ANY energy drink on the market today! 350 percent greater than The Bull!" — a reference to Red Bull energy drink. Drinkers will experience "possible feelings of euphoria," all, apparently, from sugar and caffeine.

Jamey Kirby, the drink's inventor, said the Cocaine Energy Drink contains 280 milligrams of caffeine and costs about $2 a can. An average cup of coffee contains about 80 milligrams of caffeine.

Drug experts are appalled, and so are nutritionists, who say young people use the stimulating drinks to help them party through the night.

"Kids get hopped up on drinks called Cocaine and Xtazy and then what happens when someone offers them a line of real cocaine or an Ecstasy pill?" said Joseph Califano, president of the National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse at Columbia University.

The beverage Cocaine joins other energy drinks using provocative names and edgy advertising to make a splash in the crowded field of sugary, highly caffeinated drinks. With names such as Xtazy Energy, PimpJuice and Tantra Erotic Drink, most are aimed at young people and advertised heavily on the Internet.

"I can't believe they would name a drink after a street drug," said Andre Emont, director of pharmaceutical services at University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey-University Hospital in Newark, N.J. "They are associating this with a drug people abuse."

Kirby responded that the 8-ounce energy drink does not promote or glamorize drugs.

"Kids already know what's out there," Kirby said. "Maybe this can help by making parents and kids not afraid to talk about drugs."

Kirby said he expected controversy, "but we were not prepared for this insane media blitz."

Industry experts seem less alarmed than drug experts and say marketers for energy drinks merely are trying to take on a "street attitude" and stand out from the crowd.

"They are going after the savvy, sophisticated 20-something male. They used to show extreme sports, like skateboarding. Now they are taking on a street attitude," said Sarah Theodore, editor of Beverage Industry magazine.

Copyright © 2006 The Seattle Times Company
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

More like...

and
      The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

And the festival of retards being pussies over drugs goes on.
        In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Anyway cafeine has the potential to make you high in a way similar to coke. It's a good thing that their advertising is openly ridiculizing drug laws.

Comment

I think herb should be made legal and taxed.
            I don't understand throwing people under the bus for possession, but use of the name is considered chic.

I've got 5 dollars in my hand now, waiting to be bet that within a month some jackass will have a heart attack brought on from mixing this drink with alcohol.
            Any takers?
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

OK man. You have until October 22, midnight, to come up with an article from a reputable news source clearly making the connection between this new drink and a 'jackass having an heart attack mixing this with alcohol'.

And I'm only betting in euros. No crap USD for me.

Comment

I stay away from the really powerful stuff. Caffiene is a drug like many others.. if I take too much of it I will get a stroke (and too much is similiar to what others can take fine).

I still drink a bit though..

I use to drink so much coffee (pots in a small ammount of time) that I would feel like I was floating.. would feel all spacey. I think that that would scare the **** out of me now.

Jon Miller
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Before you bet, bars have already stopped serving Red Bull and beer together, due to heart atacks.

Comment

Caffeine is a good thing, used in moderation. Using it regularly (e.g. coffee every morning) specifically to try and improve your performance is a bad thing IMO.

Comment

It's somewhat interesting, though, how caffeine interacts with my ADD. It's bascially a very mild form of Ritalin.

Completely off-topic: how do people get addicted to Ritalin? I took it (at relatively high dosages, too) for years, and never had problems going off it.

Comment

I would have to assume it has to do with a person's chemical balances, like most things medicinal.

Comment

I wanted to get off it, and was very glad to removed from it when I was 12. I am fairly sure that it acts differently for people with ADD.

That being said, caffiene use to put me to sleep, really, and I just drank mochas because I liked them. It wasn't until my blood pressure problems started that caffiene began having a large 'normal' effect on me. Now it will keep me awake, make me jittery, etc.

Jon Miller
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN
                          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Stop drinking coffee briefly. You'll probably experience headaches That's enough evidence that people would be better off without caffeine. I drink 2 cups every morning.

Comment

Ummm... isn't the LD-50 for caffeine like 650 mg?

Edit: No, my mistake. According to Wiki it's 150-200 mg/kg body weight.

In cases of extreme overdose, death can result. The median lethal dose (LD50) of caffeine is 192 milligrams per kilogram in rats.[33] The LD50 of caffeine is dependent on weight and individual sensitivity and estimated to be about 150 to 200 milligrams per kilogram of body mass, roughly 140 to 180 cups of coffee for an average adult taken within a limited timeframe that is dependent on half-life. Though achieving lethal dose with coffee would be exceptionally difficult with regular coffee, there have been reported deaths from intentional overdosing on caffeine pills.

Comment

Working...
                              X