Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want a Zune.

But they're not out yet.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

Comment

I'm just not into gadgets that much
      Monkey!!!

Comment

This looks really good but there are some serious short comings which will have to be addressed. Hopefully, MS will change its restrictive use policy due to competition (including from Toshiba who makes the Zune for MS) letting people freely use what ever media they want.

The bolded stuff I object to.

Microsoft Reveals Zune Details
        September 14, 2006, 1:25 PM ET
        Antony Bruno, Denver
        Microsoft unveiled its Zune digital music device and service today (Sept. 14), providing a glimpse into exactly how the company intends to take on Apple Computer's iPod.

The device -- which has no official launch date or retail price -- is manufactured by partner Toshiba and is loosely based on its Gigabeat device. It contains a 30 GB hard drive and a large color display screen. In addition to music, it also plays videos and displays personal photos transferred to the device. Users are able to set personal photos as a background image, and album artwork is used in the navigational menus. The device comes in black, white and brown.

As previously reported, it also contains a WiFi connection. At launch, each Zune device can use this feature to connect with one other Zune at a time, in order to share tracks, playlists and photos. Video sharing is not enabled at launch.

The sharing function contains several restrictions. While Zune users can share an unlimited number of tracks, each individual track can only be shared once with any given user. Once shared, it can never be shared again. Also, each shared track is good for only three spins, or three days, whichever comes first, after which it disappears from the user's device.

Recipients can opt to "flag" the shared songs they like, which will allow them to download a permanent version of the track when synced with a PC running the Zune software and service. Photos can be shared an unlimited number of times.

One of the concerns of the WiFi connection is its impact on battery life. With the WiFi function turned off, the device will have 12 hours of continuous music playing time, according to MSFT officials. They did not provide figures for when the WiFi function is on, but confirmed it would be less.

The music service will feature both an a la carte and subscription model, although pricing was not revealed for either. Over time, Microsoft says it hope to allow the Zune to connect and share tracks with other devices as well, such as PCs, Xbox 360 consoles, and mobile phones.

Trying to be as restrictive as Apple is will not get MS many people willing to buy their player. I really like this player but with Toshiba releasing a version of their own I might just buy the Toshiba if it gives me more freedom.

Comment

Why would the Toshiba version give you more freedom?

Those restrictions are there for what I'd hope to be obvious reasons, and that's RIAA.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Yum, DRM!
            Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
            Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Poor battery life, compared to the iPod.

At first, I was sceptical about the WiFi, but it does open interesting possibilities. Like listening to internet radios, for example.

Another is listening on your Zune to the music you have on your PC at home. That way, you wouldn't be limited to 30 GB anymore. For those of you wondering wtf I'm talking about, I can already do that with my Squeezebox. I haven't tried it yet, but you can stream the music from your home PC to anywhere you want (at work, for example), provided you have an internet connection.
              Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Battery life is identical to the 5G iPod, IIRC.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

IIRC, its 20 hours of music for the iPod and about 12 hours of video.
                  Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Re: I want a Zune.

Originally posted by Oerdin
                    I want a Zune

Geez, why don't you go on a Gay Cruise to the Bahamas with Asher while you're at it?
                    Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Originally posted by nostromo
                      IIRC, its 20 hours of music for the iPod and about 12 hours of video.
                      !!!!

Way off.

Try about 1-1.5 hours of video (in real world on my 5G).

Music is about 6 hours now, but it is a year old.

The official specs are up to 14 hours music, up to 2 hours video for the 30GB 5G.

Zune's specs are up to 12 hours music, 3.5 hours video for the 30GB Zune.

Comment

I was wrong about the video. My bad. But they improved the batteries on all the new iPods. According to the Apple website, the new "5.5G" iPods can play up to 20 hours of music and 6.5 hours of video.

The new Nanos can play up to 24 hours now, and according to the reviews I read, it ain't BS.

Comment

Originally posted by nostromo
                          I was wrong about the video. My bad. But they improved the batteries on all the new iPods. According to the Apple website, the new "5.5G" iPods can play up to 20 hours of music and 6.5 hours of video.
                          Those sound like the 80GB iPod numbers, which have a considerably larger frame and are heavier due to the larger battery.

And it should have longer battery life considering the smaller screen and less features...

Comment

Geez, why don't you go on a Gay Cruise to the Bahamas with Asher while you're at it?

I don't know if you know this, but where I come from, if you say "je veux une Zune" (I want a Zune), people will think that you want c0ck and, since we're helpful folks, they'll direct you to the nearest sauna or gay bar.
                            Last edited by Nostromo; September 22, 2006, 19:40.

Comment

Working...
                            X