Barman advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barman advice?

I just saw this new Irish pub being set up just a few meters from where I live and thought it would be a good opportunity for a service kind of job and really close to home to boot.

The problem is I've never been a barman and will probably have to lie on my resume. Any info or advice on what the job is like, what are the challenges, etc, would be greatly appreciated, as to make my lie sound more credible!
    In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

To be a competent Batman you have to have a cool Batmobile of course and sexy black clothes.
    Blah

Comment

That's Batwoman, Einstein.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Ahh, I see
        Blah

Comment

On a serious note, is it mostly a beer and wine place? Even most mixed drinks are easy to make. Jack Daniels and water is kind of hard to mess up.
          If they order something exotic, ask them what's in it. If they can't tell you, they don't need to be ordering it.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Go out and buy a bartender's manual, and study it a bit. Memorize the most popular drinks, then try your best when the time comes. If you screw up so bad that you get fired, laugh it off. You'll have a funny story to tell your friends.

Also say you're adept at spotting people who are so pickled they need to be cut off, because that's often a liability for bars. Are you a "people person"? Bartenders double as impromptu therapists.

Comment

It's an Irish pub - there isn't going to be much demand for cocktails is there?

Just remember to hold the pint glass at the right angle. First couple of times you **** up you can blame it on the pumps being different. Guinness is easy to pour, but remember to leave it to settle before pouring the last quarter (This will often only apply to people who look like they know what they're drinking, and can be disregarded altogether when it gets busy. ). Pouring lager is more tricky because with all the fizz then you can end up with a huge head and waste loads of beer. The fancy dans will hold the glass at an angle of about 30-45 degrees and rotate it while they pour, but as long as you have a decent angle then there's no need to show off at first. No matter how stiff the tap or pump may be when pouring, then it's important to pull it all the way down when you start or else you'll produce loads of froth.
              Oh, and to win over the customers then always offer to top up a drink that looks as if it has too large a head. That will make then think that you appreciate them, and beer, and if you don't appreciate beer then maybe you could work at a cafe.

Edit: Yes, following on from ajbera's therapy advice, then seek it! Oh, no: talk to the regulars or just the people who sit at the bar when things are quiet - they'll like that, and your boss will too. Don't wander off to the corner of the bar to talk to someone - just those at the bar, because otherwise your colleagues will think you're shirking.
              If you get old folks or people in wheelchairs in, then offer to bring their drinks to their table. Also, if you are pouring someone a Guinness, then take that over to them when it's done, because it'll take longer to pour than whatever else they might want. Again, this should only apply when it's quiet.

Comment

Get a nice pair of fake tits if you want any tips.
                Unbelievable!

Comment

Study this site and you'll be good to go. Hope you're good looking.

Collection of cocktail and drink recipes. Search, vote and browse for drinks and cocktails. A bartender guide, web site index and forums are also included.

Spec.
                  -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Spec
                    Study this site and you'll be good to go. Hope you're good looking.
                    I am.

And thx everyone for the responses.
                    In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Mixing cocktails is easy, just remember how much of each ingredient goes in, pouring drought lager/pilsner will be the hardest challenge witch unfortunately you can only learn by practice....

Oh, you would have to read up a bit about whiskey's if its a proper Irish bar.

But most important of all you have to know how to handle people

@duke ó york: It takes some practice to get the 4 leaf clover in the foam though

Comment

There was one I had that was fabulous.. but was made by an aquitance/neighbor, and I don't think is a standard drink.

She called it a Marbled Coconut.

It had something like:
                        2 shots of espresso
                        kahlua
                        vodka
                        coconut rum
                        bit of cream

I might be forggeting something.. or have included something wrongly. It looked great and tasted amazing.

Jon Miller
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN
                        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

She last made it for me like 2 years ago.. haven't seen her since.

JM
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN
                          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Another one that you made run away.

Spec.
                            -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

you have to learn how to make a good bloody mary though. Or you will piss people off.

The place I work for also sells drinks. Sometimes I help out the bartender (though I don't actually have a TAM card- don't tell anyone ).

I made a jack and coke. Kind of hard to screw that up. . And I was taught how to make a bloody mary, but haven't actually done so.

Comment

Working...
                              X