No announcement yet.

math help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tell him he has 4 days to understand it before you cut off a finger.
    He gets 40 days total.
    Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP
      I'm tutoring this guy, a 9th grader, and he is really struggling with math (and most other subjects), but the math is what gets to me most. He is doing simple algebra stuff, solving for x, and it is just not sinking in at all. He is frustrated and I feel helpless.

It is all very abstract to him and he just isn't getting the logic behind math.

I'll try to explain later when I'm less sleepy/sunburned. But if anyone has ideas for explaining things to him better, I'm all ears.
      First, make sure that he knows simple arithmetic. For example, can he simplify

(1/2) + (1/3) = ?

If his arithmetic checks out, then give him really simple equations, such as

x - 1 = 0

His reaction to these problems might show you where he needs more help.
      "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
      -- Kosh

Comment

Math is stupid. Throw rocks at it.

Comment

Statistic theory 101, a brings back sweet memories...

... if I could remember anything of it.

(It's really quite simple)

Comment

yuck... statistcs.

nightmare comes back...
            "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Actually, it's probability theory, not statistics
              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Killing it is the new killing it
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Ozzy -
                (Assuming you mean very basic algebra...)

A lot of the time, the biggest stumbling block to learning algebra is the introduction of letters.

Try using it without "x" but with "__" instead, so give him:

__ + 5 = 8

Have him solve a bunch of those.

Then give him

x + 5 = 8

etc. for the same exact problems

When he has trouble with them, show him that it's the same exact problems he had before.

It's also possible that he can solve __ + 5 = 8 by mentally subtracting 5 from 8, but doesn't get the idea of subtracting from both sides -- that's a bit harder to get across, usually, because it's the "unconscious" response - it's so obvious to do it that he doesn't realize what he's doing. That can be tough, but usually using more concrete examples - something like (if he's a football fan):

If the Bears score 6 field goals and the Redskins score 5 field goals, how many points do the Redskins need to tie the game?

18 = 15 + x (or 6 = 5 + x)

and then explain that it's one more field goal; you can tell because if you take away the number of field goals the Redskins scored, from how many the Bears scored, that leaves remaining how many more field goals they need.

Often adding in something the person is very familiar with helps, because they get more interested in it and/or have some additional 'unconscoius help' from their mind being in a more comfortable area.
                <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Working...
                X