used car advice/running out of gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• used car advice/running out of gas

This is for my mother, but any help would be appreciated.

She was test driving a Hynundai Elantra- I believe is the name of the vehicle. It's a 2006 with about 5000 miles on it. And the car runs out of gas.

First of all, what kind of damage occurs when a car runs out of gas. And secondly, does anyone know if this is a decent model of car?

thanks for any help.

I'm really not sure but I thought that the main thing was that it was more likely that any dirt/gunk in the gas tank would be more likley to clog fuel lines and such.

I didn't think running out of gas would do anything serious. Running out of OIL on the other hand-- OUCH

BUt I am so not the car guy
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

yeah I thought it had to deal with the fuel injectors.

anyways.

bump

Comment

I seriously doubt that any dirt will get into the system just because of this - why should it ?

What could mess up things would be that the engine gets air instead of gas and that might do nasty things to volatile parts.
        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

It'll be fine...the problem is getting **** into the fuel system but it shouldn't be a big deal...especially at that age...I would doubt there would be that much **** in it anyway...
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

In cars these days, with fuel injectors rather than carbureators, running out of gas is a bigger deal. I'm not sure of the consequences. Don't let her do it anymore. Don't go under 1/4 tank.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

actually she didn't buy the car. It ran out of gas on the test drive.

The salesman was so embarassed. He had to come back with a 3 gallong gas can.

But my mom is still thinking about buying the car, and wants to know what kind of damage running out of gas did to it.

Comment

Don't buy cars, we'll run out of air.

Comment

Shouldn't be any damage. Once there is no gas the fuel/air mixture in the cylinders can't ignite and the engine stops. Put more gas in the tank, turn the engine over and the fuel pump should refill the lines and injectors and everything should be OK.

The real problem with a car is when you put petrol in a diesel engine or vice-versa.

Recent Hyundai's in Europe are basically fairly average. They start, go and stop and don't have a habit of shedding bits too often. Not exciting but if all you need is transport they're OK.
                  Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Absolutly no damage at all.

A 2006 Elantra is rated as a great reliable car if your compare price to quality. I say buy it since it has only 5000 miles, she'll save a bundle on the dealers MSRP since it's like new...hell, it'll even be roaded. Was it a rental car before?

Spec.
                    -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Originally posted by CerberusIV
                      The real problem with a car is when you put petrol in a diesel engine or vice-versa.
                      Actually, that's not entirely true. When you own a diesel car, it is recommended to put 2% to 3% of regular gas mixed with your diesel every oil change or so. It helps clean the injectors and reduce carbon build-up.

Spec.
                      -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

If the car was 5 years or older there might be some crap in the fuel tank that could gum things up, but for a newer car like this, there shouldnt' be any problems.

And if the salesmen was dumb enough to take it for a test drive without checking the fuel, I would have tried to take advantage of his embarassment and tried to strike an even better deal.
                        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

How so?

Your car ran out of gas, so why dont you shop 500$ off the purchase price?

Spec.

Comment

If a salesman left me in a car waiting while he had to go get gas, you bet I'd try to take advantage of the situation. Any leverage in bargaining can be useful. I've gotten discounts for more minor things than that.
                            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Recent Hyundai's in Europe are basically fairly average. They start, go and stop and don't have a habit of shedding bits too often. Not exciting but if all you need is transport they're OK.
                              Starts, goes, AND stops? I'm sold.
                              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                              X