Google Earth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Earth

Its cool, no? Whether its looking at Everest, the mountains surround the Straits of Magellan, or looking at cities, from ones I know well, like DC or New York, to the ones I sort of know something about but that are fascination, like London or Paris, to thirdworld cities, some of which, of course, are HUGE. POTM mainly likes to use it to look at places she knows, like our home, or where she went to camp - but when I was looking Venice she helped me find the Jewish Ghetto, cause shed read a historical novel about it. Disappointements - still not very good coverage of rural areas - Id like to see more tundra without it looking just like an old sponge, and more French chateaux, and litle red tile roofed French and Italian villages, and so forth. And the Nile Valley in Southern Sudan, which looks pretty cool, IIRC from an Imax film. Also more Polish villages (former shtetls, etc)

Better than gaming, Id almost say.
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Yes, touring the world is fun. I also enjoy World Wind, from NASA.
    Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

I was wondering how you'd manage to link this to Judaism, and you didn't fail me.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I like it. I was pleased to discover that it had all the small little roads in a nearby cemetary that I run in - after "pushing some pins in", I was able to get a distance for my run, which would have otherwise been impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
          I was wondering how you'd manage to link this to Judaism, and you didn't fail me.
          I could do a whole thread on Google Earth and Judaism. I mean you can SEE the expansion of the Hasidic community in Williamsburg, their architecture is so distinctive. And the Hasidic communities in Munsey and Monroe New York. Now non-Hasidic Jewish communities are much harder to trace, youve only got synagoges, mainly. Which are unevenly documented (since of course that sort of thing is done by users, IIUC, in the community layer) Jewish London is well documented, both the historic east end, Golders Green, and other areas. Jewish Paris does not seem so well documented though. The old ghettos in eastern europe are uneven. Vilnas not bad, IIRC, or Warsaw, but Minsk say, is hardly labeled at all. Looking at Jerusalem is cool and all, and it seems that its now possible to get a pretty good understanding of the different land use patterns between a kibbutz and a moshav. I should take another look at Haifa.
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Mustard
            I like it. I was pleased to discover that it had all the small little roads in a nearby cemetary that I run in - after "pushing some pins in", I was able to get a distance for my run, which would have otherwise been impossible.
            gmap-pedometer.com is the free, no login required, route planner for runners cyclists and walkers. Measure your distance in miles or km, see elevation graphs, and track calorie burn all one one page.
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
              http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/
              Cool! Sadly Google Maps doesn't have the same inner road information though, and there are cloud shadows over the satellite picture.

Comment

Its cool, no?

youre a bit late to the party man
                Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Working...
                X