End of "the american lifestyle" ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Donegeal
    There is a thread on this topic already...

http://www.apolyton.net/forums/showt...hreadid=157486
    First thought was WTF, I DID check if others had made a thread - then I clikced -

OTOH, this lawsuit is a bit catch 22'ish. It will probably run for some years, and if the car companies contiunues business as usual, they can get in deeper trouble if they are convicted. That's local commentators interpretation - does that have any validity ?
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

I agree flubber, petrol is a luxery that causes harm to others, and requires a great deal of expenditure on behalf of the government to maintain, and so should be taxed as much as it is, if not more.
      Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Even though bringing the suit is a stupid idea, and the AG should be voted out ASAP, California may have a strong case.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber

I disagree-- to me taxes ARE the proper way to address government needs related to certain common activities. So I have no problem with gas taxes for building roads or even as an instrument of public policy to try to influence driving habits.

While generally I like lower taxes, I do see a place for taxes directed at specific types of consumption if such consumption causes certain governmental costs.

In the case of gasoline taxes should be used to offset the negative externalities that gasoline causes - pollution and congestion.

Comment

Originally posted by Colonâ„¢
            I wonder if California state attorney general elections are coming up.
            Yes, but Lockyer's running for something else....Insurance Commission, IIRC, or maybe Treasurer.

Ex-Gov. Jerry Brown is going to be the next California Attorney General.

Comment

Ex-Gov. Jerry Brown is going to be the next California Attorney General.
              And heaven help you...
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Florida should sue, since auto exist is going to put us underwater.
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Wow, what a retarded lawsuit. Leaves you wondering if it's the Onion.
                  In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Cars don't create pollution, burning gasoline in the engine creates pollution.

as much as I agree with accounting for the externalized costs of driving, this is the wrong way to do it. The state ought to be suing gasoline refineries, not car factories.
                    Visit First Cultural Industries
                    There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                    Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

The state ought to be not suing anyone, since no one violated any law.

Comment

The state ought to be imposing draconian measures to limit emissions if that's what it really wants. I'd personally support measures to increase fuel standards beyond what the feds are doing and to ensure that all classes of vehicles are propperly covered.

Alternatively, I'd like to see lawsuits against the people funding the "grassroots" Global Warming deniers like Exxon.
                        "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                        -Joan Robinson

Comment

I wonder if NZ could sue the US for being a big polluter if this succeeds.

Comment

Working...
                          X