300 Trailer - yeah, baby!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 300 Trailer - yeah, baby!

The Battle of Thermopylae, where 300 Spartans held off thousands and thousands of Persians. The story was adapted into a graphic novel by the one and only Frank Miller, and the graphic novel adapted into a film. The trailer is now available online.

Like Sin City, it's very stylized, and I expect opinions to be largely polarized. My nips are still hard and I'll be there opening day; I've heard others say they're kind of unimpressed. Well, there's no accounting for taste.

It's a streaming vid, and some people have had problems viewing it. I haven't had any problems and my laptop is somewhat crappy, but others may have difficulties. Even if you have no issues the quality leaves something to be desired. Still, the hyper-stylized testosterone-drenched magnificence comes shining through.

movies,films,trailers,reviews,κινηματογράφος,φιλμ,τρέιλερ,κριτικές

Sigh. While this movie looks interesting, I suspect, unfortunately, that it will only reinforce the flawed belief that three hundred Spartans defeated one million Persians.

(Note: I'm not claiming any revisionist conspiracy on the part of the moviemakers or any such thing; I just think it's annoying that people cite this historical event so frequently, and yet get the actual facts so wrong.)
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I thought it was 1200 including servants. And they were killed to a man, but only after killing several times their own number in enemy troops.
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

It also wasn't just Spartans. Last time I checked, there was a rather fiery debate going on over this at wikipedia.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Wikipedia has a fiery debate over lots of things, and the fieriness of the debate increases inversely to the importance of the subject. "Talk:List_of_lesbian_characters_in_early_Opera" is probably a giant illegible mass of flames.
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Looks cool. But yeah, Spartans were basically nazis.

*hides*
            Blah

Comment

And don't forget gay!

Comment

Bi, I thought. But what do I know
                Blah

Comment

More complicated than that, but I don't actually feel like talking about facts.

Comment

Different time, different ways.
                    I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Spartan society had plenty of good things. Plenty of things our society misses. In modern times, I believe we can destroy most of the worse sides of spartan culture, while embracing all of the better sides.
                      urgh.NSFW

Comment

From the trailer it looks better than the Troy movie, but that could turn out wrong once the movie is out. I really would like to see a good movie about it though.

I looked into imdb.com but the cast, director, etc. is completely unknown to me. Let's see if that's good or bad.
                        Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
                          Sigh. While this movie looks interesting, I suspect, unfortunately, that it will only reinforce the flawed belief that three hundred Spartans defeated one million Persians.
                          Who the hell ever claimed that?
                          Unbelievable!

Comment

uggh. why can't we discuss the topic of the movie instead of the movie?
                            urgh.NSFW

Comment

Isn't the battle against those Persians the topic? I wonder how much they show of the entire Spartan society. Although the trailer seems to indicate they do to some extent, when they devote time to Leonidas' development from childhood on. But dunno how much room that will actually take in the movie....

I wonder if they put in some dumb cliche's about Spartans being pure, strong warriors and their brothers from other poleis being decadent weaklings (if they deal with them at all that is).
                              Blah

Comment

Working...
                              X