Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you know? American "torture" worked...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you know? American "torture" worked...

Whether you consider the following techniques...

1. The Attention Grab: The interrogator forcefully grabs the shirt front of the prisoner and shakes him.

2. Attention Slap: An open-handed slap aimed at causing pain and triggering fear.

3. The Belly Slap: A hard open-handed slap to the stomach. The aim is to cause pain, but not internal injury. Doctors consulted advised against using a punch, which could cause lasting internal damage.

4. Long Time Standing: This technique is described as among the most effective. Prisoners are forced to stand, handcuffed and with their feet shackled to an eye bolt in the floor for more than 40 hours. Exhaustion and sleep deprivation are effective in yielding confessions.

5. The Cold Cell: The prisoner is left to stand naked in a cell kept near 50 degrees. Throughout the time in the cell the prisoner is doused with cold water.

6. Water Boarding: The prisoner is bound to an inclined board, feet raised and head slightly below the feet. Cellophane is wrapped over the prisoner's face and water is poured over him. Unavoidably, the gag reflex kicks in and a terrifying fear of drowning leads to almost instant pleas to bring the treatment to a halt.

... to be "torture" or not, it has become pretty clear that they work and have played an important role in the fight against Al Qaeda.

So I ask you, why should I give a **** about the CIA using these techniques on high-ranking al Qaeda leaders when a) use of these techniques is effective and helps prevent future terrorist attacks on America, b) these al Qaeda leaders don't qualify for protection under the Geneva Convention and sure as **** don't display a regard for the treatment and dignity of our servicemen and civilians that would call for reciprocity on our part, and c) these techniques don't seem to cause intense pain or lasting physical damage, thereby falling short of what I and who knows how many others actually consider to be "torture"? I know I'm supposed to be outraged or something, but can someone please explain to me why?
    Yeah
    25.93%
    Nay
    40.74%
    Ditch some, but keep using the rest
    22.22%
    The CIA should explore the creative application of bananas in these situations
    11.11%
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

I know it would frighten me, cause me pain.

Probably would kill me if you kept it up for a while.

I am pissed that we are doing these..

And if we don't treat others nice, others won't treat us nice. Just for a purely amoral look. I don't mean these Al Queda.. I mean if we don't have a MO for being fair to prisoners.. whoever we war against won't have any utilitarian reason to be nice to ours...

Jon Miller
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Why should you care if they start chopping off fingers and breaking bones of those kinds of people?

Comment

Blah

Comment

If you were doing that to me.. likely I would confess to what you wanted to make you quit.

I could easier face death then prolonged (longer than 1 month) exposure to that.

That is what is inhuman. That is what is torture.

JM
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

9/10. Very well done.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Having read the ABC news article (Drake's first link), and noting that the second is a linky to a righty blog, I have to wonder what he's on about.

Note: I don't watch video here at work. What is this supposed "confirmation" that torture (and yes, based on the ABC news article, it's definitely torture) has produced good intel?

-Arrian
              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

What is this supposed "confirmation" that torture (and yes, based on the ABC news article, it's definitely torture) has produced good intel?

ABC's chief investigative correspondent (one of the authors of the ABC article I linked to) on O'Reilly definitively stating that the use of these techniques got results, helped prevent attacks on America and saved American lives.
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Well, if a REPORTER says so...
                  1011 1100
                  Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

I was going to say something much less polite, but that works too.
                    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

I'm sure if we torture these people enough, we'll find Jimmy Hoffa's body and whoever really killed Nicole Brown Simpson too.
                      The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

ABC's chief investigative correspondent (one of the authors of the ABC article I linked to) on O'Reilly definitively stating that the use of these techniques got results, helped prevent attacks on America and saved American lives.
                        Which are presumably secret, so we will never really know, will we?

Is there a transcript, btw?

-Arrian
                        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
                          Well, if a REPORTER says so...
                          Of course those REPORTERS also say in the same article:

"The techniques are controversial among experienced intelligence agency and military interrogators. Many feel that a confession obtained this way is an unreliable tool. Two experienced officers have told ABC that there is little to be gained by these techniques that could not be more effectively gained by a methodical, careful, psychologically based interrogation."
                          Blah

Comment

Wait, I thought we disliked ABC because they were liberal gays who hated America?

Or, wait... do we like them because of Path to 9/11?

Or, huh. Wait. Accuracy from a network correspondent? When did we start thinking this to be valid?
                            B♭3

Comment

the thing that beats torture is knowing they will not actually kill you, just hurt you. and if you can endure that pain, theyre ****ed...

this is why people into bdsm should be al queda
                              "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                              'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Working...
                              X