Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No thread about the "objects" seen around the shuttle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No thread about the "objects" seen around the shuttle?

That can't be! I wonder what they are. I hope of course it's no damage on the shuttle itself, but currently NASA says there is no indication for something like that:

HOUSTON, Texas (AP) -- NASA cleared space shuttle Atlantis for a Thursday landing after finding that the orbiter appeared undamaged and concluding the discovery of unexplained space debris did not pose a serious problem.

Landing was set for Thursday morning at 6:21 a.m. ET at Kennedy Space Center in Florida.

Atlantis' six astronauts completed two inspections of the space shuttle Wednesday to make sure it wasn't damaged from the mysterious objects found floating outside the spacecraft. (Watch the mystery object -- :56)

"Nothing was found to be missing or damaged," said Wayne Hale, space shuttle program manager. "So we feel very confident that we're in for a very good landing opportunity."

Earlier Wednesday, Atlantis commander Brent Jett described three objects as two rings and a piece of foil. He told Mission Control the first object, about 100 feet from the shuttle, was "a reflective cloth ... It's not a solid metal structure."

NASA officials thought the debris may have come from the shuttle's cargo bay.

"Typically, when we open the payload doors on the first day of flight, we will see objects," landing flight director Steve Stich said. "It's a little bit unusual to see objects maybe this late in the mission."

Before the postponement Tuesday, Atlantis had been scheduled to touch down just before daybreak Wednesday, when the weather forecast wasn't favorable for landing anyway.

NASA managers didn't see anything that concerned them during the initial inspection using the shuttle's robotic arm. But they decided to go ahead with another inspection using a boom as an extra safety precaution.

The boom, which is attached to the shuttle's 50-foot robotic arm and has cameras and sensors at its end, can look at hard-to-reach places.

The first object sighted Tuesday morning appeared to drift away when landing systems were put through a normal but bumpy trial run.

Worry about whether it came from a crucial part of Atlantis was enough to make NASA postpone the landing. NASA officials said their best guess was that the object was a plastic filler placed in between thermal tiles which protect the shuttle from blasting heat.

But after being unable to determine what the object was Tuesday, NASA managers opted to spend early Wednesday making sure the shuttle was in good shape instead of concentrating on solving the mystery.
    Heat shield crucial

The engineers' main concern was the status of the all-important heat shield, because a damaged shuttle skin led to the 2003 demise of the shuttle Columbia.

"We are going to verify that our critical heat shield is in good shape for entry to the best of our ability," shuttle program manager Wayne Hale said.

A second mystery object was spotted midday Tuesday and photographed by astronaut Dan Burbank. Jett said the object looked like a picture hanging clip. But it may be a garbage bag, which would unlikely be a damage risk, but the issue will be moot if the heat shield looks good, Hale said.

"So far we do not know the identity of the two things that floated away yesterday," Houston spacecraft communicator Hans Schlegel told Atlantis Tuesday night. "Today we want you to survey the vehicle to make sure it's ready for entry. Last night we already surveyed from ground."

Mission controllers also used cameras at the end of the robot arm to take pictures around the payload bay while astronauts slept on Tuesday.

I think these objects are either space aliens or flying tinfoil hats
    Blah

It's serious enough that NASA spoke of number of days of food they have onboard, in news accounts yesterday.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

one of them is a garbage bag.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
        one of them is a garbage bag.
        Its bad enough that people don't pick up after themselves on this planet but now we are littering in space ???
        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

There's tons of debris in space, Flubber.

Comment

Originally posted by ajbera
            This is how we should solve our trash problem. Think how much more beautiful the world would be if we took the contents of our landfills, and blasted it into space. Out of sight, out of mind.

We could do the same thing for nuclear waste.
            "Remember, there's good stuff in American culture, too. It's just that by "good stuff" we mean "attacking the French," and Germany's been doing that for ages now, so, well, where does that leave us?" - Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral

This is how we should solve our trash problem. Think how much more beautiful the world would be if we took the contents of our landfills, and blasted it into space. Out of sight, out of mind.

In neat and tidy storage devices painted black

Comment

Originally posted by ajbera
                I know that tehre are all kinds of satellite pieces and stuff-- Its actually a hazard for spacecraft

But that they could think that there is a garbage bag up there --wow
                You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

"Typically, when we open the payload doors on the first day of flight, we will see objects," landing flight director Steve Stich said.

Well, it's good to know they aren't all up in stitches over this.

Comment

This is how we should solve our trash problem.
                    After we develop nuclear powered spaceships to get it there.

Comment

the link doesn't work for me, and I want pics
                      "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                      I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                      Middle East!

Comment

Here you go:

~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral

At least until there´s so much garbage orbiting earth,
                          that it blocks all of the sunlight
                          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

53 minutes away from Atlantis concluding the STS-115 mission with a landing at KSC, at 6:21 EDT. You can watch the preparations and the landing at NASA TV if you're interested.

It will be a rare night landing of the Shuttle, only the 15th ever.

Comment

Atlantis touched down 2 minutes ago and has come to a halt on the runway, after a 4.9 million mile journey.

What a sight.

Comment

Working...
                              X