ZOMG!!!!11!! Che Totally PWNED!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZOMG!!!!11!! Che Totally PWNED!

From NPR this morning, filtered by my being half-asleep.

So the Supreme Court of the United States has just done a massive survey of the court system in the U.S. to see how they are handling frivolous lawsuits, i.e., tort abuse. Out of two millions cases, exactly 750 met the definition of a frivolous suit. Of those, a whopping 17 were handled incorrectly. So, what's the math on this?

750 / 2,000,000 = 0.375% of all cases are frivolous
    17 / 750 = 2.2667% of those cases are handled incorrectly
    17 / 2,000,000 = 0.00085% of all cases are abuses of the tort system.

Oh my, it's an epidemic that must be rectified immediately in order to save the republic from frivolous torts!

=============

See below, I don't know what I'm talking about.
    Last edited by chequita guevara; September 20, 2006, 23:57.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

People who read Fark know that 17 is inaccurate.
    "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
    "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
    "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
    "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Were the 750 other than those 17 settled? That would be a problem.

For that matter, which of those numbers, if any, count cases that were settled?

Comment

750/2000000 = 0.0375
        LandMasses Version 3 Now Available since 18/05/2008.

Comment

Re: Tort Abuse! Oh noes!

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
          Out of two millions cases, exactly 750 met the definition of a frivolous suit.
          How are they defining frivolous suits?
          ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
          ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

Thedrin, according to my calculator 750/2000000 = .000375 What's up with your math skills today?
            No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
            "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

i got 42. what the ****
              "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
              'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Are communists naturally skilled in mathematics and statistics?
                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

0.0375%
                  LandMasses Version 3 Now Available since 18/05/2008.

Comment

Re: Re: Tort Abuse! Oh noes!

Originally posted by Caligastia
                    How are they defining frivolous suits?
                    I assume those that have no legal merit, rather than which sounds totally ludicrous when you leave out half of the facts (which seem to prevade the internet).
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
                      Are communists naturally skilled in mathematics and statistics?
                      Kill one person its murder 10 million its a statistic.

They got their props when it comes to stats.

edit- whoops read skilled as "killed".
                      "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe

Kill one person its murder 10 million its a statistic.

They got their props when it comes to stats.

edit- whoops read skilled as "killed".

Scary, isn't it?
                        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                          From NPR this morning, filtered by my being half-asleep.

So the Supreme Court of the United States has just done a massive survey of the court system in the U.S. to see how they are handling frivolous lawsuits, i.e., tort abuse. Out of two millions cases, exactly 750 met the definition of a frivolous suit. Of those, a whopping 17 were handled incorrectly. So, what's the math on this?

750 / 2,000,000 = 0.375% of all cases are frivolous
                          17 / 750 = 2.2667% of those cases are handled incorrectly
                          17 / 2,000,000 = 0.00085% of all cases are abuses of the tort system.

Oh my, it's an epidemic that must be rectified immediately in order to save the republic from frivolous torts!
                          Interesting numbers but I find them difficult to believe. The frivolous numbers just seem way too low. When I was in private practice we represented the physician's association. there were two individuals that brought about a lawsuit a week against some doctor or another-- since apparently the guy that bandaged their knee caused their supposed stroke or whatever.

These suits were invariably quickly turfed but if that was going on in a town of 100,000 in Canada, I would think there would be some wingnuts doing similar things in the US. Also I have seen US television programs that cited dozens of frivolous lawsuits-- The overall 750 number seems way too low.

Now I have no idea whether "tort reform" is needed in the US or not. I know that in Canada, the general civil trial rules that says "loser pays" the court costs of the winner---- works pretty well to cut down on frivolous lawsuits
                          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

DP
                            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Tort Abuse! Oh noes!

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

I assume those that have no legal merit, rather than which sounds totally ludicrous when you leave out half of the facts (which seem to prevade the internet).
                              How is it decided whether a case has legal merit or not? I mean, it depends on who is interpreting the law to some extent doesn't it?
                              ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                              ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

Working...
                              X